PAL Canon B roll camera for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PAL Canon B roll camera for weddings

Looking at our local options of Canon HD consumer grade cameras, there is quite a line up. Can anyone advise me if any on this list would be suitable as a B roll camera for weddings.

Canon - Digital Cameras and Accessories - Orms Photo Warehouse

Cheers

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For tape based HVxx are pretty good. I recently bought xh a1s and using it as main camera and my HV30 as b-roll.
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Hameed. I was wondering if I should start moving away from tape?
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Howard

I was very reluctant to move away from tape last year but as I'm a Panasonic fan (since the '80's!!) I realised that they had no new cameras to offer that were still tape based so I had to bite the bullet and move to tapeless!! I must admit that my fears were totally unfounded!! Both my cams have now done around 20 weddings this season start in September and the results have been awesome!! Transfer is lightning fast of course. (I just pull out the card and copy with the card reader in my computer) There is no long realtime wait for tape to transfer and, of course, no wear and tear on your cameras either!!

At present I have no call for BD so I simply store the HD files on the drive but I do transcode the AVCHD to SD before editing BUT it's still way quicker than a realtime tape transfer.

I'm still a firm believer in having identical cams but plenty as using a different camera for B-Roll footage!! As far as the big change I would go for it. I was delighted with the results (and you save heaps on media costs!!! I have run a rotated set of 4 cards the last 8 months at a cost of $160.. 40 or more tapes for this period would have set me back $350!!!! and I'm still using the cards!! Probably replace them when we get the Winter slowdown!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris

The initial outlay of replacing cameras is a daunting prospect.

Cheers

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Howard

It's basically the same as a car!! I tend to replace my cams not later than two years and that way your resale value is still high!! I normally put the old cams on eBay and get quite a respectable price for them which offsets the capital cost!! My next two are due in 2011 as soon as the rush is over and we are looking probably at around $6500 for the new Pansonic HMC82's which is, admittedly a big chunk, but my existing HMC72's will quite easily fetch $2K each so that will help the pain!! I just find it comforting to know that I have a fairly new camera to do the job. The first couple of weddings in the new season normally pays the difference between the old and new deficit!!

You should also be able to write off a sizeable chuck of the purchase price for tax purposes so the actual nett cost is still fairly bearable!!

I thought that you are already shooting with 3 cameras????

Chris
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Howard

Sorry forgot to mention!!
I see your XH-A1 is around R40K which is nearly AUS$6000 ... I import my cams from GlobalMediaPro and the price difference is massive They sell the XH-A1 for only AUS$3400 ...we can bring them in duty free but have to pay GST of 10% but it's still saves heaps of money!!!

Might be worth looking into????

Chris
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

^ I agree. I bought my XH A1s for ~ AU$4200 from quickshop.com.au. No customs or anything... I still don't get how they did it, but don't really wanna know... ;)
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

Yes, we shoot the service with three, or more, cams. That makes replacement all the more expensive.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques