Canon XH-A1s / HV40 tapes for HD recording ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH-A1s / HV40 tapes for HD recording ?

With my first HD wedding looming, I am wondering which tapes to buy for the Canon XH-A1S and HV40 - many members here seem to have experience in recording in HD with these cameras.

I have learned that HDV tapes are not a necessity for HD recording - so can we just clarify: HDV - including 1080i and 25F modes (PAL) - can be recorded on both these cameras onto normal miniDV (SD) tapes?

From my research on the net this appears to be true, with zero difference in recording/output quality - the main reason for paying extra for dedicated HDV tapes seems to be for the worry of experiencing dropouts when using the 'less robust'(?) cheaper miniDV tapes. I'm aware that dropouts when recording in HD are more severe than with SD material, but I have read several testimonies from users who have recorded HDV onto miniDV tapes for years without problems.

So is it worth the extra investment to use only dedicated HDV tapes? If so which brand is recommended for the Canons?

Also is it true that Sony allegedly use a 'unique' kind of tape lubricant, and should be avoided unless sticking absolutely to that brand all the time? I know it is best not to mix brands anyway, but have read some odd reports about the Sonys...

Thanks for any advice.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Frequently asked, sorry.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-bla...amcorders.html

We have an entire forum dedicated to tape:

The Long Black Line Forum at DVinfo.net

See you there,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques