License and Royalty free music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1
New Boot

License and Royalty free music

I just wanted to see other's opinions on what the most popular websites are that provide license and/or royalty free music?
Aaron Blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Major Player

For me, the best one is Audio Network - Production Music Library . I found them when I was searching for corporate video music, and I found a site that has top quality music for every use! A bit more expensive than the average royalty free site, but still affordable.
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Major Player

www.Stock20.com - Flash Detection is pretty cheap & easy to use. One thing I like is each song you buy you get several different lengths (10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 1min 20 sec, 2 min etc).. Usually it seems I get about a dozen versions & lengths.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Creative Commons (http://www.creativecommons.com) has links to excellent, free-to-use music. Some you can use for commercial purposes as long as you credit the composer. I favour one web site in particular that has professional material, but I won't share the link for fear that the demand will drive him to start charging. :-)
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for all the responses. I'm currently using Triple Scoop Music and am getting bored with it's selection of instrumentals and vocals. The featured artists are ones my brides never recognize, so I feel they're a bit disappointed with the music used in their highlights. Any suggestions?
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Major Player

You won`t find easily-recognizeable music for free.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #7
New Boot

I'm willing to pay, I just need to find a place that will sell it to me.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Problem is, if it's something the bride will find familiar, the license will cost you more than what you'll get paid.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

That's not entirely true. Over the years we've had plenty of people report varying experiences on this issue; some have said that licensing costs were out of their reach while others have had to pay only a nominal fee, or even none at all (Moby, for instance, is one artist making his work available free of charge for applications such as limited-run wedding video). It just depends. There is no one set answer for this. It might be prohibitively expensive and then again it might not. You'll have to contact the specific publisher directly and find out for yourself.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #10
New Boot

royalty free music

I use this site sometimes, although usually not for wedding stuff

dig.ccmixter “You already have permission…”

on another note, why does it matter if you use copyright materials in wedding videos? Because of potential internet distribution?

Joe

Blue Umbrella Studios
Wedding photo and video in Austin, Texas
Blue Umbrella Studios » Wedding photo and video in Austin, Texas
Joe Spitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Have you noticed that even well know tunes are now re-recorded by new artistes for commercial, movies etc. Using the real thing is just out of consideration for even big budget work. Some are very, very similar - others not so.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #12
New Boot

Joe,

It's illegal to use copyrighted music in wedding videos if I plan on selling the dvds or putting the videos on a website (personal,youtube, vimeo, etc.) I need licenses to do that. Vimeo is in the middle of a lawsuit and I don't intend on being next on that list....
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Major Player

These people have been posting on filmmaking groups on Facebook. They're based in the UK. Haven't given their work a listen, though...

Quote:
We are an independent record label and publishing company not a big bad corporation out to sue people for file sharing, we WANT them to spread our music around. Most of our catalog has been released under a Creative Commons License and is free to download. Are you an independent filmmaker ? If you need free creative commons... music for your productions follow the link and give us a listen. If you hear anything you like just message me and I'll get back to you.
Pete Smith | Facebook

J.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #14
New Boot

I posted a similar question elsewhere and got the below reply. Strangely enough, I just got a phone call yesterday from that Songfreedom company he mentions. They said they'll be launching in a month and will be offering the rights to songs like "Hey Soul Sister" and "I'm Yours". Hopefully this is true because this is exactly what I've been looking for!

Hello Aaron!

We've been struggling with the same issue. We've had to weigh staying popular against staying legal. We like using big songs... but we don't like getting sued...

We've been using zoomlicense.com lately but none of that music is ever a bride's first choice and you're not going to find Jason Mraz on there. There just really isn't much out there, at least that I've found, that will give you truly "popular" music short of forking out thousands for a license from a record company.

We got some email from a place called "Songfreedom" a little while back. They're apparently working out a deal with record companies to make it easier to get that music, but their website doesn't seem to have launched yet, so I don't know what to expect. I'm keeping an eye on it though... might make a good replacement for my instrumental catalog, lol. It's Songfreedom.com if you want to check that one out.

I'm afraid I'm no more help than that though. If you find something, let me know! Good luck!

-Tommy
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Still Motion

we recently launched withetiquette.com which was created for the photo and cinema industries that we work in. the idea was to find independent artists with music that is created with the same passion that our films and photos are. we are adding more artists frequently and are looking to diversify our offerings in teh coming 6 months.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques