Insurance on gears ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Insurance on gears ?

Hi,
Do you guys have insurance on your gears to protect from theft or some sort.

I might be shooting on a known dangerous area ( I dont want to mention the city) Im just wondering how do you guys protect your equipments and your self?
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think it would be foolish not to have gear cover as well. Of course you have to have public liability anyway in case some elderly lady trips over your tripod leg and breaks her hip and sues you!!!

My $5M liability cover cost me around $400 a year and cover for the gear is about the same and I'm covered for the gear both onsite during the event and also theft from a locked vehicle before and after the event.

It's a extra expense unfortunately but essential!!! I have only had one incident in the last two seasons where someone walked into my tripod and the leg was damaged (the camera was luckily caught in mid-air by an alert guest so it was minimal damage)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You bet your camera bag I have insurance. Those that do not, I hate to sound harsh, but they deserve what the get. Including if the gear gets stolen and they don't have the money to replace it. Sounds mean I know but that's the way it goes.

As for protecting yourself, there are a number of ways to do that some legal some maynot be. they will all cost you some money. Ask a couple of off duty cops if they can be your bodyguard, hire a professional bodyguard or get a licensed handgun if it's legal to carry where you're going. Actually forget the last one, you don't want to get into that.
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Trustee

We dun have that kinda insurance in Singapore. What are you guys covered under? Policy type? Insurance company?
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Most big insurance companies here do a Photographer's Package (videography fall under that banner in their eyes) It gives you Public Liability and various degrees of gear cover. I use Aon in Australia and I can also have my policy cover me for overseas trips or work.

Maybe ask them if they have partners in your part of the world??? Being in the business they will probably tell you who to go to???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Major Player

I can not imagine not having insurance, many times there is over 20K in a bag, and on wheels at that. I hope I never need it, or life insurance either. :)
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

No brainer.............

No insurance = you're stuffed if it all goes pear shaped.

Mine's just gone onto the household policy as it's so much cheaper than a business policy (you may have to kick the stuffing out your insurance company till they "get it", we did).

Don made a good point, which is exactly what I've done in the past when shooting in known "hot spots", muscle.

Doesn't have to be obvious or intrusive (or even big), simply visible and watching.

A couple of capable carers makes all the difference. It means I can get on with what I'm doing and leave the eagle eyeing to them.

Haven't lost a thing yet.

CS

PS: Forget the firearm idea, as the videog you'd probably end up shooting yourself or one of the minders, not a good look.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the informative response guys! Any recommendations?
I am based in Bay Area, CAlifornia.

I just thought maybe you guys can refer me to one that is cheap and resonable since I will only do videography parttime only.

thanks!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques