Wedding Editing, what software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Editing, what software?

If your video business was 90% weddings, and you had a new Mac Pro, and Adobe creative suite cs4, what would you use to edit.

I have been using Premier Pro cs4, but not real happy, it was pretty buggy but may have been more my win 7 64bit. I am now on Mac and happy but not sure if I should spend the $600.00 to upgrade to cs5, or just add a little more and get FCS. I do not do a ton of weddings, but want something that is stable, and can do a basic job fairly quick.

I will be using ex1r, 5d II and a 1d IV for the video, if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Trick question. If I already had Adobe CS 4 I wouldn't buy anything else. Then again I'm cheap...

It really depends on what you are used to. I practically grew up with FCP, so that's my editor of choice. I have recently started using Avid, and honestly hate it. I'll continue hating it until I can use it as well as I can use FCP. So unless you know how to use FCP, or can take the time to learn, then stick with what you know.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Major Player

I guess it depends what you're using it for. To relate it to my own personal situation, I was awfully tempted by CS4 simply because Encore is miles ahead in Blu Ray. Then I started doing more corporate work, and decided to stick with what I had because the corporate work doesn't require handing over a finished Blu Ray disc.

Seems like your big issue is stability. Now that you have switched to a Mac, can you pick up a trial version of Premiere and try it for a month? That should be enough time to tell if CS5 is as buggy on your new Mac as CS4 was on your PC.

I will say this, though: In my humble opinion, Premiere and Final Cut are identical, so learning a new system shouldn't be too difficult, though you should allow a bit of time to get used to things.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, I like at least having the option to run either. I think I will give CS5 a try first, I know the trial does not have all the bells and whistles as the full version, may just have to bit the bullet to give it a real test. I have been using adobe products for years and hate the thought of learning new software.

If I still have issues will make the switch.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques