DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Editing Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/478431-editing-software.html)

Raji Ahmed May 10th, 2010 01:25 PM

Editing Software

I know the topic has been covered, but I'm trying to get specific information here.

I've been usign Corel VideoStudio X3 for the past few weeks and was loving it until I read that it lacks fatures. I haven't used too many editing programs to compare, so I don't know what the Corel's software is missing. But seems like most people who use Windows, use Adobe Premiere products or Sony Vegas. I tried Premiere Elements and its not as user friendly as VideoStudio. I love the X3s editing tool. Maybe I haven't learned it enough, but Adobe isn't as easy to edit and trim clips and create movies in timeline mode. Not the way X3 is.

I'm installing Sony Vegas right now to check that out, but anyone out there using Corel's VideoStudio X3? I would love to hear some positives about it because most of what i read is that it lacks some features necessary for pros.

Thanks

Noel Lising May 10th, 2010 02:26 PM

I am not a Vegas user and I was going to suggest Adobe Premiere Elements. I use to edit with Adobe Premiere Pro but down graded to Elements for ease of use. If you find Elements not to be user friendly you might find a bit of a learning curve with Vegas.

My 2 cents

Raji Ahmed May 10th, 2010 02:46 PM

I am finding that Sony Vegas is a bit more complex in the interface, but I find it a bit easier to use. I guess to each his own.

I was just curious if anyone here uses Corel VideoStudio

Chris Harding May 10th, 2010 04:46 PM

Hi Raji

I have been a Vegas user since Version 4 and when a friend tried X3 he was very impressed and uses it to edit all his movies now. He actually produces content for a local TV Country Show so the results must be fairly good!!
The bottom line is personal choice and what YOU find easiest to use. I find that Adobe just doesn't suit me and I really don't like it BUT that doesn't mean that their software is no good!! It's purely a matter of trying a few of the good ones (Sony, Adobe, Corel etc etc) and seeing what suits you!!

They all do a good job otherwise they wouldn't still be on the market would they????

Just for interest, my very first NLE was called Corel Luminere and was pretty good but that was a long time ago!!

Chris

Hameed Aabid May 10th, 2010 05:02 PM

Raji,

If you are in the process of evaluating software, give Edius a try as well.

John Wiley May 10th, 2010 06:35 PM

Chris, I agree with you on the Vegas/Premiere comment. I use Vegas but also have CS3. Sometimes I decide to try and use Premiere for a certain project because I aslo plan on using After Effects and Photoshop for that project. I normally give up after a few hours and just edit in Vegas. I know some people love Premiere but I just don't get on well with it. I don't know if it's my editing style, my impatience, or something else but it just doesn't suit me for some reason.

Raji, I don't have experience with Corel. At that end of the scale I used Pinnacle Studio for a few years, and dabbled in Premiere elements for a bit but didn't like it. It felt like a completely different program to the pro version rather than just a 'lite' version like Vegas Movie Studio is.

Edius Neo 2 is supposedly a very powerful low-range editor. It is definitely worth a try also.

Just in case you didn't know, all the software manufacturers offer trial versions of the software. You can download them and normally have 30 days to test them out and see if you like them or not. I'd suggest you figure out what ones are in your price range, then download the trials for each of those and test them in depth, before finalising your decision.

Raji Ahmed May 10th, 2010 08:10 PM

Thanks Chris. Atleast I don't feel like I'm the only one out there that uses VideoStudio :-)

Yes, I've been trying out the trial versions of Adobe, Sony, and Corel. I just downloaded Edius and will give that a shot.

Thanks guys

Robert Freeman May 11th, 2010 10:03 PM

The Main problem I found with x3 is that you cannot make an iso file, and with vegas is you have to spend an arm and a leg to actual burn something. I bought pinacle 14 and so far it does a good job. Yes I liked x3 controls better, but they took out the iso feature from x2 to x3 so they are out of picture now.

Chris Harding May 12th, 2010 06:39 AM

Hi Robert

I agree with the DVD side of Vegas!! I use it only to edit and render files. I struggled with DVD Architect that kept trying to make an 8gb DVD and telling me my disk had insufficient space!!

My absolute favorite is a product called DVD Lab from Mediachance...so simple and easy..you just bring in your MPEG2 files and it does the rest. I just render in Vegas 9 to the MPEG2/ DVD PAL Widescreen preset and DVD Lab does all the rest!!!

I think that Pinnacle had a disaster with Version 8 which made a lot of people wary but my good friend Bruce Foreman here swears by Pinnacle

Chris

Dimitris Mantalias May 12th, 2010 12:56 PM

Although I haven't ever tried the Corel offering, so I can't really judge its qualities, I think it would be better for someone that is professionally dedicated in video editing, to try (hard) to learn using software like Premiere, Vegas or even Avid. We are using Premiere from the very beginning and I only can say it has enough built-in tools to do almost everything you think of. It wasn't that easy at first but after 10-15 days of hard work, I finally managed to control it (in terms of user interface I mean, making a nice edit is an ever-evolving thing). So, yes, it's a bit tough to learn, but not that tough.

The biggest advantage of such software is the existence of many-many 3rd party plugins. There are things like amazing color correction tools, denoise tools, video enchancement tools and many others, that only support software like Premiere, Vegas or Avid. You may not need them, but the most possible thing is that you will, and then you'll be happy to use one of those NLEs for your work.

I vote for Premiere, although CS4 was too buggy compared to super-stable CS3... Maybe CS5 will resolve certain problems.

Raji Ahmed May 13th, 2010 10:39 AM

Maybe I didn't give Premiere enough of a chance, but I spent several hours on it for 2 days, and I just wasn't getting comfortable at all.

So far though, Sony Vegas Pro 9 seems to be much more manageable and workable. And there is a lot of support out there for it. One thing I do notice with Corel VideoStudio is, after using Vegas, that Corel's software is more user friendly and easier to navigate through, esp for beginners, but the final product doesn't look as professional as something done with Vegas looks compared to some of the finished products I've seen.