Coming clean to the B&G at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Coming clean to the B&G

Hi Everybody,

Some of you might have seen my post awhile back about getting bad footage when my camera head went out alignment. So know the video is edited and ready for delivery. It did turn out nice, the main losses were the front angle from the ceremony and during the toasts the good camera was focused on a reaction shot of the B&G and the bad camera on the person toasting. We did cut in a few seconds from the bad camera of each of the toasters just so you know who is giving the speech. What is the best way to bring it up to the couple?
They might view the video and see nothing wrong with it but I also don't want to try to put one over on them either, have them come back and ask where the second angle is from the ceremony and than all of the sudden I have to explain the camera broke when I should have been upfront about it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Come clean. Usually this sets the bride up for being disappointed and then when she sees the video she's not upset at all.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Major Player

keep your mouth shut! if they don't say anything, move on. If you say something, they are
going to be watching for any mistake and it will ruin their experience.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't feel the need to explain to the client why some footage was used and other footage wasn't. You are delivering what you promised, leave it at that.

You're not "putting one over on them".

Have you ever been married? Believe me, there are so many things going through your head on your wedding day you would not notice if the videographer had one, two, ten or twenty cameras.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
keep your mouth shut! if they don't say anything, move on. If you say something, they are
going to be watching for any mistake and it will ruin their experience.
I have to agree with Scott. This will ruin the experience. If they do catch it then explain to them that you didn't want to mention it until after you saw the video.

Find out when they are going to watch it and then call them the next day to see if they had watched it.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Unless you guarenteed certain shots to be in the video (I hope you didn't) there is nothing you to say. It's the editors choice of which shot is used where and if the editor feels one camera has a better shot or tells the story betteer than another shot from another camera, it's the editors discretion.
I agree that if you do say something then the couple will be looking for things wrong.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Trustee

If you don't tell them and the video is ok with the couple, then everything is good. However, if they see only reaction shots, it's obvious that something is wrong and they might confront you about it. When they find out you tried to pull the wool over their eyes by not telling them in the first place, they might be more upset about that than the video. It could even affect your reputation. In this instance, I would be honest with the couple and tell them up front about the problem before showing them the video.

You know how the video was supposed to look, but the final product was not what it was supposed to be. Tell them. They'll know when a camera angle is missing. Remember that this forum includes your real name, and future brides could follow this thread to see just how honest you are, simply by searching your name.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Adam

They will certainly not be looking for errors unless you tell them to!! All they want is some fooatge of their special day and you have done that for them. You will be pleasantly surprised that they will be delighted with the DVD. Remember that YOU and only YOU are trying to achieve technical perfection!! All the bride will is worried about is how pretty she looked and your omission will go totally un-noticed!!!

Let someone "non-technical" watch the footage..I bet they will not spot anything amiss at all!!! Now, if you had missed the ceremony vows with both cameras THEN you would have to tell the bride!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If the edit has suffered noticeably because of the camera issue, then I would be up front with the couple and let them know you had a technical difficulty. I would also assure them that you made every effort to minimize the impact of the camera issue.

If the edit still looks great then I wouldn't worry about telling the couple anything. There's no need to mention an issue that didn't hurt the video.

In this case, it sounds like you did the best you could with the edit. It also sounds like you had to use some of the 'bad' footage and focused the rest of that section on the B&G. It's hard to know for sure without seeing it, but it sounds to me like it's something that the B&G will notice as an issue. Therefore, I would let them know what happened.

Most people are very understanding that technology can break. If you don't already, you need to have a clause in your contract that covers you for random things like this (and weather issues, animal issues, whatever .. things that are beyond your control). To me, the worst thing you can do is try and pass it off as fine and have to explain to the couple afterwards what happened. That just hurts your reputation in my opinion.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Working as a producer for an ad agency I learned the lesson that you critique every detail during production but once you screen it to the client you brag on everything. Sell it big. If they disagree then you minimize your faults. If you have done the best you can with what you have then what more can you do?
Joe Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I appreciate everyones replies. I actually gave a copy of the DVD to a friend of mine who is a wedding coordinator that we do alot of work with to review it. Honestly with the exception of the toasts its a very nice video and the only issue with the toasts is the good footage was just a B&G reaction shot. I hate to taint what is actually a very nice video by telling them we lost a camera and causing them to have a more critical eye, so its a big one to ponder over the weekend.
A good friend of mine is a photographer who also does videography, he only does a one camera shoot. I told him the story of this wedding and how we would have been screwed if it was one camera and it went bad. I think he is going to be adding a second camera.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques