Help me find this thread (sata dock workflow thingy) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Help me find this thread (sata dock workflow thingy)

Hi guys, I've just spent the last hour trying to find a thread I saw a few months ago.

I think it was in the wedding forum.

It was a thread talking about workflows, and someone posted there method that involved using a sata drive dock, and then when a sata drive was full, they labelled it, put it in a drawer, and put a new empty drive in the dock.

I honestly coudnt find the thread and I spent at least an hour looking for it.

If anyone can locate this thread, I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey James

You could be referring to when i was talking about it, over on the UK-equivalent forum (dvdoctor).
I was saying i couldn't live without my ('DuoDock') Sata docking station now....much easier to store and backup onto HDDs (plus cheaper than externals). simply plug them in and away you go.

plus you can use software ('SyncToy') to completely sync up your internal HDDs every day/week/month.

cheers
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Richard, thanks for the heads up, but it was definitley on this forum as I've never been on dvdoctor.

You don't have a link for it do you? As I'm goin 100% tapeless this year, rather than using external HDDs to transfer ALL the files for a project when I'm done, I'd rather just swap out the internal sata drive, and the post I seen, someone described in detail such a workflow.

It even had pictures! Thats why its sticking in my mind, cos it looked EXACTLY like what I'm after.

Cheers

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Major Player

oh i see...no, i def. didn't go into detail..no more than above anyway

but honestly, it's dead easy:

Manual Backup/Transfer:
connect the docking drive to your PC. put in a Sata HDD into the docking station. oila. it shows up as if it's an external drive. easy as that!

Auto-Sync/Backup:
with SyncToy, just download it and see what it's about. you can tell it which internal drive to copy, and various ways in which to sync.
connect the docking station whenever you prefer: day/week/month/after-every-project, and away you go.

good luck...
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Richard, wonder if I can pick your brains on a couple of things RE this.

what model of dock are you are using?

I saw this one on amazon / play (Play.com (UK) : CnM USB SATA Hard Drive Dock And Card Reader : Computing - Free Delivery)

its only £17 but the reviews dont seem too good.

Also, I don't have an esata port on my desktop, I take it all I would need to do is get an esata pci card? lie this

(

)

Cheers

James
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques