DVD Printer Suitable To Impress Wedding Customers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Major Player

DVD Printer Suitable To Impress Wedding Customers

I've read other threads but they are too old.

I am wondering what printer to get to replace my Lexmark 4650 and the Kodak ESP7250 that I just bought cause it's junk too.

I'm looking for something that prints, scans, copies and possibly prints onto DVD's too.

Also, do you have to buy new ink or do you use a refill option? What does ink run you? Is it hard to find?

I want awesome quality, but want to avoid paying over $400ish dollars, but I'm open to anything you guys and girls recommend.

Thanks,
Kelly
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Trustee

I think you'll find the media makes as much or more difference in the appearance of the DVD. Tayio Yuden Water Shield disks are virtually indistinguishable from a good retail DVD label, at least on my printer (a Disc Makers Autograph 7.) Even when I was using my cheapie Epson R300 they looked great.

It also very important to me that my printer take widely available print cartridges. My printer uses HP cartridges that are available at Target, Wal-Mart, OfficeMax, et al. If I run out of ink during a particularly large order, I can just run over to the store and pick one up, I don't need to order online and wait a week.

I can print up to 500 DVDs with a pair of ink cartridges, so I don't bother with refills. I have used them in the past and never had (much) trouble, but I'd rather not take a chance.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Major Player

I just did some more test prints on the Kodak printer (if I can get it to recognize the "paper size") They look like crud. I've read that I have to use Kodak paper, but I use SureThing Labels to make my DVD covers and disc covers.

I'm just looking for a printer that works well. Prints excellent on all types of glossy / matte and photo paper.

You can print up to 400 disc labels. That seems really good.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Trustee

Oh, you're using stick-on labels? Those are potentially bad for DVD players.

I'd suggest getting a printer that can print directly on the face of the DVD. Then buy Water Shield disks. You'll be amazed at how good your DVDs can look.

Look into something like an Epson Stylus Photo 1400. They're only about $200.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've got 2 R200s and a 1400 which has become my workhorse. It is a great printer and because of the size it'll produce I've done 13X19 prints for family. Paper was hard to find at a reasonable price but regardless. I've been using the TY (now JVC) Watershield discs for 3 years and they look great! Even when it's text only it just looks super.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Don, is this your model? Epson Stylus Photo R200 Ink Jet Printer

On Amazon it's got a over 52 1 Star reviews.

Seems to be working well for you.

Hmmm. Seems like printers are getting cheaper in quality and more expensive in ink.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly

I have a couple of Epson R290's ($129.00 here!!) and they do a great job. I print directly onto the DVD's as inkjet printable DVD's are so common now. For the DVD covers I use Epson Photo Quality Inkjet paper and get a great result. I have tried generic cartridges and generic paper and it's really better to bit the bullet and buy the genuine stuff...our local cartridges produced strange colours!!!!

Yeah, ink is expensive..the R290's use 6 cartridges at $22.00 each so new cartridges cost more than the printer!!

I really wouldn't skimp of quality as the DVD is the first thing the bride sees!!!! and you want a good impression!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yeah the R200s were the boss when they came out but after many hundred and hundred and hundreds of discs and paper for cases they finally gave up the ghost one at a time but they will still print on bond paper in so I keep them around. I got the 1400 for the size it will print more than anything else and it's been very solid but yeah the cost of ink is kinda steep but it looks so good...
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Hmmm. Seems like printers are getting cheaper in quality and more expensive in ink.
That's the business model - sell the printers at a loss and make it up on the consumables.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Major Player

One last question regarding the DVD's that you can print on. Do they have a matte finish or a photo like finish?

Or do you know a brand that has the photo like finish?

JVC Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable 8X DVD-R Media (Premium Line) 100 Pack in Tape Wrap - SuperMediaStore.com
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

This is what you want:

JVC Taiyo Yuden Water Shield White Inkjet Hub Printable 16X DVD-R Media 100 Pack in Cake Box - SuperMediaStore.com

Hands down the best!
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Most printable DVDs and CDs have a matte finish. However, there are varying degrees of "matte-ness". I've used some Ritek disks that have a very nice semi-gloss finish but at matte disk prices.

However if you really want the nice glossy "factory-made" look, you want to get TY Water Shield, or Disc Makers HydroShield (which I suspect are just rebranded TY Water Shield disks.) They cost about twice as much as quality matte disks, but are well worth it.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Major Player

I use TY matte and WaterShields in my Epson R300. I also use refillable inks. I worked it out that a full set of ink cartridges (CMYK + LM and LC) is $13.50. I can buy the same set at OfficeMax/Depot/Staples for $80. It's a no brainer to refill inks. The prints are also as good as with the Epson ink. I get mt ink from inksupply.com, and TY DVDs from mediasupply.com. Media Supply is local to me so I get next my orders the next day.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm using Epson R220 for about 3-4 years now - the tray starts to slip so soon I'll replace for another Epson :-)
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Ben.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques