DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Ice Show shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/479070-ice-show-shoot.html)

Alden Miller May 20th, 2010 03:55 PM

Ice Show shoot

Alright, first, yes i read the sticky with all the threads for stage shows.
Now here's my pickle:

I have an Ice Show shoot this weekend. 2 Nights, the same show. My original plan was to have CAM A (unmanned) have a WS of the stage and CAM B (me) will be getting MS and CU on a handheld.

Picture an Ice rink.
The East and West side are the Goal nets.
The East Side does have a walkway around the rink
The West Side has a curtain up so the girls can enter and exit "the stage"
The South Side has all the bench seating and the Penalty Boxes
The North Side has a sky box-like crow's nest on the Half Line.

The Spectator Side has your typical glass wall for about 6-8 ft. then a black net to the ceiling.

When I was there for their dress rehearsal, the lady directed me to the penalty boxes to shoot from. Good news is no glass wall in between, but the penalty boxes are about about a third of the hay down. So it is difficult to get some good shots on the opposite side of the ice. (if I'm on the east box, it is pretty far and a weird angle to capture the action on the west side).

Also, the benches are so small the WS isn't wide enough. I would miss the action on the sides. Plus, we still have the issue of the glass wall and the black net that we would see looking through to see the "stage"

I can't use the crow's nest, because that's the opposite side and it would break the action line.

I think that's all the info, I hope it made sense.

Obviously if I had a helper, I'd have him be on the WS and just pan when needed, while I get my CUs.

IF I CAN'T get a helper what do you think I should do?

A. Using only 1 camera, Night 1 - Shoot the WS;
Night 2 - Shoot the MS and CUs from the boxes

B. Use 2 Cameras - Night 1 - CAM A WS of East Side; CAM 2 MS and CU from Box
Night 2 - CAM A WS of West Side; CAM 2 MS and CUs again (probably from other box)

C. Do something else much smarter that you guys suggest?

Thanks
Alden

Philip Howells May 23rd, 2010 06:23 PM

Allowing a bit of latitude for my difficulty in visualising the geography, (and accepting that my suggestion may not be practical for you or thebudget), I'd recommend:

1 stick both cameras on tripods,

2 change the positions of both from one performance to the other,

3 get as long a lens as possible for the manned camera,

4 multicam the whole lot since if I understand the sort of show you're recording, they'll be performing to a recorded soundtrack and finally

5 get more cameras. Four camera angles for a whole show doesn't give you a whole lot of cutting options.