DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Pre-Wedding Film .. an adaptation or real story? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/479093-pre-wedding-film-adaptation-real-story.html)

Johannes Soetandi May 20th, 2010 10:56 PM

Pre-Wedding Film .. an adaptation or real story?

I've been asked to do a few pre-wedding clip now and found some challenge I need input on.

How do you makeup a story without going too far from the real story? For example, I've got some couples who never really had a proposal moment where the boy propose to the girl, kneeling down etc. They usually just run along with plans on getting married.

Now do you necessary had to have the proposal in the film? Since it's usually where you wanna bring the climax into. If so, do you make up a story? But how to do that without "lying" (so to speak) so that the couple's story in the film is original and genuine.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Susanto Widjaja May 21st, 2010 12:44 AM

Hi Johannes,

We always put real life story on our prewedding films. Sometimes our couples don't have "strong" proposal story to tell as well. In this case we try to find alternatives by asking them how they met or how they got together or whether there was a big moment in their life that they want to share on film.

If we still can't find anything, then we would ask them to consider having a save the date video or our "imagine" concept film.

Our true story prewedding concept is definitely not for everyone but as long as we can explain it to the couple why we think they shouldn't do that concept, they will be ok with it.

I guess you can always make up a story and have the couple to do it, I don't see anything wrong with that. It'll still be entertaining if its done properly. It would be a good idea if you can put some real life elements of the couple into it though.

Santo

Chris Harding May 21st, 2010 01:32 AM

Hi Johannes

I just let the couple tell their own story!! As Susanto says it has to be real so if the bride-to-be tells the camera about how she met her fiance it will pretty much be the truth. All you might need is some prompting questions that will evoke an interesting response..ie: "Tell me the circumstances leading up to how you met Tom?" and not "How long ago did you meet" (that answer will be short and sweet and you won't get any footage!!!

It's their story so simply let them tell it

Chris

Sean Seah May 21st, 2010 05:24 PM

Some adaptation is ok but mostly the truth. I do it the same way as Santo. Find out what is the best moments of their life to present. Could be how they met, how the got together or the proposal.

Johannes Soetandi May 21st, 2010 11:05 PM

I have a prewed video to be shown this weekend and decided to leave out the proposal part (as they don't have any) and decided to replace with another highlight in their love story. I just feel a bit odd watching it although that maybe due to my editing & filmmaking skill too. I'll share it in the forum soon for critics/comments.

I just feel if I had to re-make their story/do adaptation, it maybe entertaining for the audiences but for the couple themselves they know it's not real.

But I guess it goes back to how creative you are approaching the story and putting it in video without running away too far from the truth. I have so much to learn from you guys. It's definitely not easy. Thanks for the help!