On Camera Mic in Churches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Major Player

On Camera Mic in Churches

I have been reading that Shotgun Mics inside churches or smaller receptions is not the ideal choice.
Obviously one channel is the lav mic, what are you guys using for the other channel?

Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Denny, my advice is read less.

Unless you have a specific objective for the second channel, a short gun is, in my opinion, the best source for ambient, background sound - and just the chance of a usable get-out-of-jail soundtrack. Generally, on board mics are useless except for recording inadvertent Foley tracks. We have an AT 897 in each second channel.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Was watching a video on BH and it suggests a small diaphragm mic inside, this is what I have been wondering about.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Denny, an AT 897 is a small diaphragm electret - just a slightly different polar pattern - we're not a million miles apart. What I wouldn't recommend is a long gun, that's true.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I too use an 897 on my B camera and it picks up the music wonderfully. I don't worry about it getting anything else because in 99% of the cases it won't but for the music, it's great. All my other voice is picked up by 2 lavs running back to my A camera. At the reception I use a Hypercaroid and a drum mic set to my wireless. I think I've posted my setup about 10 times so it's in there somewhere.
Like was said, that articla is pretty general in scope.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Denny

At Church weddings I have a radio mic on each channel (one for the groom and one for the lectern where they do the readings) The B-Cam uses a Rode VM for ambient.
At outdoor gigs where everyone is in one spot I just use a radio mic on the groom and kick in the other Rode VM on the main camera. It's saved my bacon a couple of times where someone way out of shot has suddently decided to read an impromptu poem and the VM does very well in these conditions. In times of emergency I do like a "hot" mic on the camera and the VM has a robust output!! During the reception I need to switch in the -20db XLR attenuation to avoid it over modulating but with attenuation off it's a very useful tool for doing guest interviews even with high background noise...still amazes me the way it can punch thru all the high ambient noise and still get a decent signal from the guest!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques