Finally getting in the wedding business. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Noel and I are on the same page. I'm there to get the shot, I'm being paid, I'm the professional. I do what I need to do to get the shot.
Having said that, there are times during the reception that people will cut in front of me, or stand in front of me BUT it's only during the dancing portion of the evening so frankly at that point I don't care, but during the ceremony or introductions, cake cutting or speeches DO NOT GET IN MY WAY! I'm small, but I've freelanced news so I know how to use my elbows and I have a big mouth and am not afraid to use it.
If you're constantly getting blocked then you need to change what you do and how you do it. You need to take charge and move people out of your way. Nicely at first but if that doesn't work, well, my mantra is, I'll be nice to you once, after that I don't have to be nice. Don't like it, too bad!
Thats my personality. 38 years in the photo and video business will do that to you. ;-0
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

And there's something to be said for having tall tripods/monopods. I'm rigged so anyone shorter than Herman Munster won't block my shot.

Plus if it's available I'll lash a camera on an ultrapod or clamp to the balcony railing... no one gets in front of THAT angle!

This is the one time I feel for the photog, who pretty much needs to have their camera at eye level most of the time (except for "live view" cameras with a tilt screen).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Noel, Don, thanks for the tips...I do politely ask people to move and do ultimately "get the shot". It's just that it never ceases to amaze me how people just step in front of a video camera as though it's not there. And Dave, I do have a pretty tall tripod - Bogen 3046 that I can and do crank up. Thanks all, but more than anything I was just venting because this past Saturday seemed to be worse than usual. To top that all off, I caught kids running through the legs of my tripod!!! I asked them please not to do that. Even though they listened and left the area, I was very worried for the rest of the night whenever I left my "A" cam unattended. I guess I just have to chalk this experience up as "paying my dues"
Coral Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Nothing like finding a toddler using one of your tripods as a "jungle gym"... and dad asks "is that on...?"

If I didn't have kids I might not have found that nearly so funny! I knew I'd have an angle from one of my other cams, so no big, but there are times you really have to wonder...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #20
Regular Crew

In order to work successfully with photographers, I make sure at all times I know where they are at. I don't ever want to be called "oblivious". I've seen photographers who think they are the only professional present, and there is nothing more annoying, and I certainly don't look forward to working with them.

But if the photographer and videographer are always looking out for each other, most jobs run sooo smoothly.

And yes, If I got to the perfect spot first, it is mine. And vice versa. "The early bird catches the worm". However, I do know how to share. And if I can move, I will. We both want to look good at the end of the day.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #21
Major Player

A good videographer gets the shot without getting in peoples way. Sorry, but I don't agree with some of the posst on here. We don't work for the local News Channel. We don't elbow people or yell. The local News cameraman is cut-throat and he has to do anything to get the shot. We however, have to get the shot and have no one notice us. That is what seperates the good wedding videographer from the bad one.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Michael, I would have to assume you're talking about me because I stand my ground. So I guess I'm a bad wedding videographer.
I'm not nor have I ever been a flly on the wall. That may be you but don't denigrate someones methods because you do something else.

Talk to me after you've done 27 years as a videographer and about 1900 weddings. I've been elbowed and pushed and even threatened and I'm not talking about news. WEDDINGS! Back in the 80s and even 90s people thought we were whipping boys and even into the 2000s they still had that idea. Not all, but some and my friend I am no ones whipping boy.

I don't yell and I don't elbow but I will if I have to since some people are either rude or stupid or both. I'm getting paid to do a certain job for the B&G, they expect me to perform and during the major portions of the event I simply will not allow anyone to interfere with my shot. This has happened to me time after time over the years and finally as video is becoming more of the norm people are respecting what we do.
If you take a different approach fine but don't condemn those of us that are a bit more assertive. We all have our own ways to do things and we do what works for us.

BTW I don't get in other peoples way. I'm more respectful than that, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people both vendors and guests.
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
A good videographer gets the shot without getting in peoples way. Sorry, but I don't agree with some of the posst on here. We don't work for the local News Channel. We don't elbow people or yell. The local News cameraman is cut-throat and he has to do anything to get the shot. We however, have to get the shot and have no one notice us. That is what seperates the good wedding videographer from the bad one.
I am not sure that will work in all cases, unless you have a large crew. I know if I am not firm with my ground, and ask guests with $300.00 cameras and cams to please move, I would hand the bride a DVD of the back of guests head. I know the brides would be upset and explain I was the professional I should have got the shot. Guests do not care, all they want is their shot, they wont think twice about stepping in front of a couple video cameras, unless you stand your ground.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques