DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Best LCD/LED monitors for video editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/479548-best-lcd-led-monitors-video-editing.html)

Pablo Montano May 28th, 2010 08:28 AM

Best LCD/LED monitors for video editing

After an extensive Google search I decided to ask for help. I am ready to change my CRT monitors for LCD/LED monitors. I edit mainly corporate videos, some music videos and other business events. I am in Poland and clients want their product on SD with a growing number asking for HD. We are now shooting with Sony Z7 and editing with Abobe Premiere Pro.

My budget is OK to buy two 24" monitors from the following:

HP ZR24W
BenQ V2420
Dell 2408WFP

I will appreciate any suggestions as to which one would be best. I am also open to buy a different brand if your suggestions convince me.

Thank you very much.

Perrone Ford May 28th, 2010 09:02 AM

Well, I can't comment on the BenQ, but the other two I will.

I was looking for a 24" monitor myself as a third monitor. I considered models from Dell, HP, NEC, Samsung, and others. The HP monitor you've listed here lacks HDMI. That's HUGE for me as a third monitor, but maybe not for you. I didn't find the adjustment's so great on this HP either. I have two HP L2045w monitors as my main monitors on my HD edit suite. They are excellent.

However, in the end, I went with a Dell ST2410. for my needs. Incredible array of connections, excellent screen, huge adjustments, and factory calibrated. I just hooked it up this morning, and after warming up, it looks gorgeous.

I have two other Dell Ultrasharp monitors on my SD edit suite, and they still look lovely also.

Best of luck with your choice. These 24" monitors are a joy.

(BTW, the 2408 is a 2yr old model. The 2410 is this years model. The last two digits indicate the model year)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo Montano (Post 1532457)
After an extensive Google search I decided to ask for help. I am ready to change my CRT monitors for LCD/LED monitors. I edit mainly corporate videos, some music videos and other business events. I am in Poland and clients want their product on SD with a growing number asking for HD. We are now shooting with Sony Z7 and editing with Abobe Premiere Pro.

My budget is OK to buy two 24" monitors from the following:

HP ZR24W
BenQ V2420
Dell 2408WFP

I will appreciate any suggestions as to which one would be best. I am also open to buy a different brand if your suggestions convince me.

Thank you very much.

Pablo Montano May 28th, 2010 09:15 AM

Perrone, thank you for your input.

I am adding the two models you mentioned into my list. I just checked the availability here in Poland and both of them are here and the prices are OK for my budget.
Thank you!

Perrone Ford May 28th, 2010 09:20 AM

Make sure you watch the size. The HP I mentioned are 20" not 24". I don't have the space for all those large monitors!

The Dell ST2410 is a 24" monitor though, and I wish I had a dozen of them! :)

Pablo Montano May 28th, 2010 09:29 AM

Thanks for that. I just noticed also that the Dell ST2410 and the Dell 2410WFP are two different monitors... why do these manufacturers make our lives so difficult?Both are available in Poland... decisions, decisions and decisions.

Jose Martins May 29th, 2010 04:47 AM

Hello,

Check out the HP LP2475w.

It has an S-IPS panel, and that makes all the differnce. It needs proper callibration, donŽt use the factory deafults. Get a calibrator, for exemple, the Huey Pro is a good priced device. You can also check the HP DreamColor LP2480zx but its 5 times more money.

Other top of the line displays are the Eizo monitors, youŽll find several options for video editing in their website. Eizo are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

You can also consider getting a standard monitor, and invest in a high quality LCD monitor, such as the Marshall. They have a couple of screens that can be used both in post and in the field.

There is a lot of info in the web about monitors!

Pablo Montano May 30th, 2010 05:02 PM

Thank you Jose. I'll check the monitors you suggest. The HP model you mentioned is on top of my budget, stretching a bit. More than that will be too much. Enzios are good, but too high price for my budget.
Thanks for your help.

Tom DelRosario May 31st, 2010 12:25 AM

Might want out check out the Anandtech LCD thread

STICKY: The LCD Thread - AnandTech Forums

Very detailed coverage of monitors. Unfortunately, hasn't been updated since October, but that's still fairly recent.

Pablo Montano May 31st, 2010 04:31 AM

Thank you Tom.
I will check it out. Thanks.

Michael Y Wong June 9th, 2010 08:31 PM

Dell U2711. tons more resolution then 1080p (basically 2 720p monitors side by side), hence even on a half sized preview window when doing offline edits you can be 100% CERTAIN that your infocus shots are actually in focus.

112% gamut donst hurt either. this is the same lcd as the 27 inch imac but without the led backlighting causing the tint problems that everyone is b!thcing about on the forums....

-myw

Tom Sessions June 13th, 2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1532473)
Make sure you watch the size. The HP I mentioned are 20" not 24". I don't have the space for all those large monitors!

The Dell ST2410 is a 24" monitor though, and I wish I had a dozen of them! :)

How long did it take to finally get delivery on those puppies? the estimated delivery date for my order keeps getting pushed back another week, time after time to the point where it has been over a month and since I ordered them and I may be lucky if I see them by the end of the summer.