DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Videographer Poll (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/479552-wedding-videographer-poll.html)

Michael Clark May 28th, 2010 11:08 AM

Wedding Videographer Poll

I have a laundry list of questions I thought might be fun to compile into a list. I'd be curious to see how others here answer.

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for various equipment, or do you buy brand new one-time only batteries each new job?
2) Do you wear a suit to weddings?
3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies?
4) If you were only filming the ceremony, which began at 7:00 PM, how early would you arrive to set up?
5) Do you offer referral bonuses to vendors?
6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video?
7) What's your favorite piece of equipment that cost under $500?
8) Does anyone not require a signed contract?
9) Have you ever bartered services?
10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)?

Bill Grant May 28th, 2010 11:47 AM

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for various equipment, or do you buy brand new one-time only batteries each new job?

I use AA alkelines, they're cheap and reliable I don't have to worry about whether they are charging properly or not...

Yes, always... not a tux just a suit.

3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies?

I use 2 Zoom H2s and one Iriver soon to be 2 Irivers

4) If you were only filming the ceremony, which began at 7:00 PM, how early would you arrive to set up?

For anything besides my "cinematic package" I will show up 1 hr before.

No, we have never had a need. Usually vendors just want you to do a good job.

6) Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video?

We put on our contract 6 weeks and have always stuck to it. I am delivering 4/17 and 4/25 today.

I'd have to say either my Z-finder for the 5D, H2s, or my Iriver. Which one has saved my butt the most, the Iriver definately.

Always a signed contract, always.

Not in a while.

10) Do you only film weddings? If not, other than weddings, what do you film the most (commercial, concerts, events, etc.)?

I do weddings the most but also do commericals, music videos, etc.

Stephen J. Williams May 28th, 2010 11:56 AM

Michael...

This could be fun...

1) Do you use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries
I buy new every-time.

I bought a really nice suit when I got married... For a time I was wearing that until I found my self getting a little bit dirtier then I would like. Now I wear some kakis with a solid black polo. Now I'm not afraid to kneel in the grass to get a shot. Plus on a 15 hour day it's more. comfortable.

3) How many audio devices
I use two digital recorders. A sony hooked to the lapel of the grooms jacket. An H2 either hooked into the churches audio box or somewhere near the altar (I don't find my self using the audio from this very much, it's more of a backup).

4) how early would you arrive to set up?
I would arrive around 5ish. I like to capture all the little details to tell the story... Florist decorating the church, cars pulling up, ect. That would also give me time to possibly grab a quick time-lapse shot of the outside of the church.

Nope... never really even heard of this. I'm still fairly new to my market and the wedding business.

6)Do you state an estimated completion time on your website for a typical wedding video?
No... The hardest thing for me to do is quote a client the turn around time. One thing I learned from my full time job is to always over quote how long you think it will take.

7)What's your favorite piece of equipment that cost under $500?
There's a few that I really love using/having... I really love my large pelican case. Before I had it, I would be worn out just carrying things from point A to point B. I really like my zaza slider, it gives my the motion that my videos were lacking. A long time ago when I was much newer to all of this I picked up some small, cheap LED video lights. I never ended up using them as on camera lights. But I found there better used to light the little things (such as rings, cake, jewelry) in a unique way.

I'm a terrible business man, but mainly because my business doesn't pay for my bills. I've done work for people without receiving the contract back. It all turned out well, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Nope.

10) Do you only film weddings?
Pretty much weddings... I did some work for a helicopter magazine's website sometime ago. It was fun and a great learning experience. I only wish that I had half the knowledge I have now then.... I might still be working for them :-)

Steve

Michael Clark May 28th, 2010 12:18 PM

I'll go ahead and answer:

Brand new.

If indoor, always a suit. If outdoor during hot months, black suit pants and solid black polo. I dressed once for my first outdoor wedding in grey suit pants, and a blue oxford shirt. A sweaty disaster.

1 marantz pmd-660 external recorder for sound board, 1 Zoom H2, 1 wireless, 1 shotgun, and I actually use the new iPod touch with the Griffin iTalk Pro app as a back-up. No audio control, but I've never had any issues with it.

I arrive 1.5 hours early. That allows time for set up, plus "detail shots", which I can use in the trailer if there is one.

No longer.

6 weeks. I have never had an issue delivering by this time.

The one I have the most fun with would have to be the glidetrack, but the most useful is a quality tripod (501hdv).

I learned after my first wedding to always have one!

No.

Primarily live concerts.music videos, some commercial and other events.

Adam Haro May 28th, 2010 04:10 PM

Brand new Duracell.

Nope, black polo and khakis. I need to be able to move around and get dirty if need be.

All on-board for now. Shotgun mic on each camera and a wireless. Going to pick up an mp3 recorder soon.

1 hour.

Nope.

Not on our website. We give the client a verbal estimate of delivery.

My glidecam 2000
Never work without a contract.

I've traded videography for an ad in a bridal magazine.

We've done some corporate work and dance recitals.

Chris Harding May 28th, 2010 04:54 PM

Brand new.

Long sleeved black shirt with Company Name and Black Pants. I would wear a suit if asked.

Just two radio mics!!

1.5 hours early at least
No

Yes, within 7 days

My own DIY Stabiliser Rig for Shoulder Mount cameras

No contract no work..everyone signs a contract before I even start !!!

No.

Property Condition Reports for Realtors

Chris

Jay West May 28th, 2010 04:57 PM

I do not use rechargeable and prefer relatively new alkaline units. I also pack a VOM in my kit. Any AA or AAA battery which shows over 1.3 volts gets used unless it will be a long shoot. For 9v batteries, I will use them down to 8.9v, and save them for other uses.

Rarely. I mostly work in a rural and mountain resort area where there is usually nothing like a dress code. I've done back-country weddings where I've had to hike or ski to the site. My town has a a couple of annual motorcycle rallies/gatherings, including a Harley-Davidson event, and you just do not wear a tie to a wedding tied to one of those events. For most weddings, particularly out-door ones in the warm season, I wear pressed kahki slacks and a light-colored dress shirt. For indoor weddings in heated or air-conditioned space in one of our cities, I usually add a tie and blazer to my costume.

I use some combination of my two wireless lavaliers (an AT and a Sennheiser) and three external shotguns (with a Sennehiser wireless transmitter for one when I need a wireless shotgun). I've sometimes used a Creative Zen to record from line output from sound systems.

Depends on the wedding. We have a couple of wedding chapel businesses here and I get hired for a few of those services in the summertime. The chapels are tightly scheduled on summer weekends, so I may have only a half-an-hour window for set-up. For most weddings, however, I would try to arrive between 5 and 5:30. For very large weddings with complex set-ups, it will be earlier. (Complex meaning that they will have a large venue with spread out events where I need 5 cameras and where there may be complicated audio recording problems).

No.

No but my contracts usually say one to two weeks (sometimes longer depending on what the customers have asked for.) This is for proof copies. There isn't much call here for SDEs --- I haven't done one in several years --- but I frequently provide NDEs (next day edits).

Stanley Fat Max wheeled tool box. With the addition of foam padding, it holds 5 cameras and most of my gear (including cable adapters, brackets, mikes and MRC1 recording units kit.) It holds almost everything other than tripods, mike stands, and the long audio and mike cords I sometimes need.

I always require a written contract. For short-notice weddings (like the ones in the wedding chapels) I require a physically signed contract. For weddings planned in advance where there may be (and usually are) changes over time, I accept e-mailed return copies. (In my state, an e-mailed copy of a contract is considered legally signed by the sender.)

(9) Have you ever bartered services?

No.

Besides weddings, I mostly do events and legal video. "Events" are music and dance recitals, concerts, meetings, presentations, plays, and even funerals. (Funerals? Well, a lot of this is making DVD slide-shows and memorial presentations which a family wants included in a service. Sometimes, folks want video of the eulogies and discussions for the local oral history. And, with some of the larger funerals where I provide video for "overflow" rooms, the folks ask for DVDs to send relatives who live too far away to attend.) Legal video includes depositions, witness interviews, day-in-the life videos, demonstrations and other forensic stuff (like construction site conditions, property damage and boundary line and land use issues). I get occasional calls for auditions (students applying for scholarships and performance programs), promotional videos (mostly for realtors and for stock breeders offering special horses), home inventories for insurance records, and film-to-dvd transfers (every Christmas, at least 3 or 4 people will show up with between 20 and 80 reels of 8mm or Super 8 films that they want copied to DVD.)

Paul Mailath May 28th, 2010 06:33 PM

Rechargable - I know how long some batteries sit on the shelf before they're purchased, I'd rather do it myself

nope - navy slacks & navy polo with logo

I have 3 Olympus recorders with lapel mikes and Belkin Ipod recorder with Shotgun mike

6pm but after reading these responses I think I'll make it earlier!

no

12 weeks - editing is my weak point

Olympus recorder

I always have one

yep - with venues & dressmakers

not much but always on the lookout

Philip Howells May 28th, 2010 08:34 PM

Rechargeable but only Lithium-polymer or Recyko - the latter have incredible shelf life without voltage loss and can be relied upon. For people who think that non-rechargeables' higher voltage is a benefit, there's some very interesting technical papers which show how rapidly they drop to the sort of voltage Recykos give constantly.

Black lounge suit if the client's in a lounge suit, Morning dress, (tails) if they're in formal dress. Not had a dinner suit (tux) wedding.

3) How many audio devices other than on-board mics (wireless, shotgun, external, etc.) do you use for ceremonies? H4 and an old Sony mini-disk.

5pm

No

Yes 4-12 weeks depending on the season.

Mobile phone. I also regard it as Mankind's most significant invention after the wheel since it allows all men in the world to speak directly to one another. Close second would be the gramophone which, as Katharine Whitehorn (a UK journalist) once wrote, enabled the masses to make love to music without having to rely on a blind violinist.

We don't work without one.

No

Almost exclusively though after 30 years I get seduced very occasionally by people wanting to thrust money into my hands for other projects. Right now we have one project making wedding videos in Thailand and another which could turn into a TV programme about a U-boat which slipped out of Kiel two days before Grand Admiral Doenitz (Hitler's successor) surrendered. It carried a small number of very advanced torpedos and two Naval Enigma machines with several sets of spare rotors. These projects rarely come to fruition but are fascinating to dwell on.

Aaron Mayberry May 28th, 2010 10:31 PM

Fresh batteries, ever time.

Not anymore, used to when I started.

2 zoom h2's.

6:30pm

No, if they refer us it's because they actually like us

No

I really do like my zoom h2.

All weddings need a signed contract, except family and friends.

Yep! Worked great!

Outside of weddings, we film recitals the most. But we do a TON more weddings.

Don Bloom May 29th, 2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Clark (Post 1532501)
I have a laundry list of questions I thought might be fun to compile into a list. I'd be curious to see how others here answer.

1) I use rechargeables in my LitePanel Micro but for audio gear it's brand new copper tops every single time. Wanna buy some slightly used AA batteries?

2) The last time I wore a suit to a wedding was last May, my wife and I renewd our vows and she made me :-(

3) None. Strictly wireless, shotgun and hypercaroid.

4 At least 1 hour prior to the ceremony especially if it's somewhere I haven't worked before which doesn't seem like too many anymore.

5) Actually yes but ONLY 2 venodors and BOTH have provided plenty of work to me making it well worth my while.

6) Not a chance

7) I have no favorite piece of gear, it's all just tools to do my job.

8) You're kidding right? ;-) If it's not in writing, I doesn't exsist (at least that's what my lawyer has always told me)

9) Only with my wife

10) If I only did weddings I would have been out of business 25 years ago. I do seminars, interviews, AV work, TV work, anything that is legitimate and pays properly.

Kyle Root May 29th, 2010 08:22 AM

1) New batteries.
2) When I first started out 10 years ago, I always wore suits. However, now, I do not. Typically khakis and either polo shirt or button down shirt. Not only is it more comfortable, but it is much more convenient when you're running around outside trying to get shots etc.
3) No other audio devices.
4) If I have filmed there before, maybe 20 minutes before start. Otherwise about 45 minutes.
5) No referral bonuses.
6) 6-8 weeks.
7) ME66/k6 combo.
8) yes on contracts.
9) yes.
10) add dance recitals and marching band competitions.

Lukas Siewior May 29th, 2010 08:48 AM

1) new ones for wireless mics, rechargeable battery pack for my on-camera lights.
2) black shirt (long or short sleeve, depending on the weather) and black pants.
3) rode shotgun, azden wireless mics, zoom h2
4) approx. 6pm
5) nope, never - we refer each other only because we like our work
6) only estimated time verbally
7) i like my Ikan LED light
8) always on paper
9) i did with my friends (ie. photographer)
10) other types of family events, commercial and corporate as well

Alec Moreno May 29th, 2010 10:27 AM

Okay Michael. I hope you're planning to put the results together for us all to see easily once you have a fair amount of data.

1) New
2) Yes
3) Four
4) Between 5pm and 5:30pm
5) No
6) No
7) Varizoom Flowpod (but it's a modified version)
8) Other videographers (when I'm freelancing) and a few other non-wedding related clients that I have a solid history with
9) Yes
10) No (stage events are a distant second)

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video

Michael Clark May 29th, 2010 11:29 AM

I'm definitely planning on gathering the stats and posting. Thanks for the response.