DSLR's for wedding video? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Jim, thanks for the warning. But I don't have 7D before so I don't have that to compared. So far, the Q menu has everything there I can set easily on the screen without digging through the menu. So I'm happy with it. I was considering 7D but then I can get two T2i for the price of 1 7D. Also have to invest on CF card or SD card.. I went with t2i =)
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #77
Major Player

You guys have fun with those DSLR's for weddings. I love the look, and quality is great but for me not going to happen.

2 EX1r's sync once at start of ceremony and life is good. I just can not spend that kind of time editing, not this time of year.

I do use DSLR video for fun things and jobs other than weddings but for weddings I will stick to my EX1r's
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #78
Inner Circle

I have the same thought for the past 2 years... keep thinking I won't have that kind of time and mind set (to deal with the stress level) to shoot weddings with DSLR. But after viewing more and more competitors work shooting weddings with DSLR, I just have to move up. Otherwise, I will be extinct in this market.

Besides, I'm not getting rid of my camcorders yet. I can offer tiers of services.. for customers who are willing to pay more, I will hire more shooters and spend more time in editing. Need to stay competitive and ahead... just like back in 2006, I was thinking should I get rid of all my SD cams and get HD camcorders, and offer BluRay. Glad I did that.
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Quote:
But after viewing more and more competitors work shooting weddings with DSLR, I just have to move up. Otherwise, I will be extinct in this market.
That's a weird thought, here I couldn't imagine that a competitor would set me out of business because he uses a dslr and I don't. Is it really that bad?

I have been b-roll shooting with a dslr the past few weddings and they complement my xh-a1 but no more then that, their fun to work with but my impression has always been that a camera does not deliver a quality video, the person using it does.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #80
Inner Circle

It isn't really a weird thought. and it also won't happen overnight. =)

Not just because of using DSLR. compare to other wedding videographers doing, I can't achieve the shallow DOF, cinematic look, and aesthetic composition with my XH-A1. I could have invest a 10 to 20 thousand dollars to high end cam with interchangeable lens.. but I can't afford that. So shooting with DSLR give me the result that I adore and a lot cheaper, why not.

You are right that's really the person who shot the event and deliver of quality work that counts.. but we also need the right equipment to do the right job, at the price that we can afford.

Besides, it's just another level of service that delivery wedding film, instead of wedding video that I have been doing.
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #81
Trustee

I have done quite a few weddings recently where I worked with someone else with a DSLR while I shot with my EX1R. Personally, I think they are a great combination for wedding shoots. The DSLR's do a great job with shallow depth of field shots while both cameras shoot well-saturated 1920 x 1080 video so they match well when editing.

As for the superior sharpness with DSLR cameras, I don't believe that is true. Actually an EX1 can resolve more lines per inch than a DSLR. The seeming sharpness of a DSLR is because the sharpness setting in the camera is set higher which gives the illusion of sharpness. This illusion is actually aliasing which is why DSLR cameras are such a PITA when shooting objects with repetitive patterns. There are two other ways to achieve this look. In a camera like an EX1, the sharpness can be turned up in the camera. Alternatively, sharpness can be increased when editing. Just keep in mind that added sharpness wherever it is applied is fake resolution. It may look good but it isn't actually increased resolution.

But the shallow depth of field that can be achieved with a DSLR can add a touch to a production that looks terrific as long as it isn't overused. It it's overused, it makes a production look amateurish as if the shooter is playing. The end result is seasickness, not pleasure when viewed. Every flippin' shot with a DSLR doesn't have to be a rack focus from one eyeball to the other. And keep the shots in focus or use the clips from the other camera. I have seen DSLR footage that takes your breath away because it looks so good. Unfortunately, I have seen more DSLR footage that looks pretty nasty because the camera wasn't handled well especially with respect to controlling focus and holding the camera steady. A DSLR is a challenge to shoot good video with. My hat is off to those who do it well.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #82
Major Player

I believe before the DSLR becomes the standard, there will be something out that replaces them.
I do not feel that pro videographers will need to go DSLR to survive.
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #83
Inner Circle

I agree.. I don't think videographer needs DSLR to survive It is also a matter or choice and preference. Some like to drive a Camry and some like a BMW. There is no right or wrong.

There're already many high end tape-less camcorders out there. Before I jumped into T2i, I was thinking to go to The new Cano XF series.. but for $7000 a camcorder that I need 2, it will be too expensive for me.

At the end of the day, it's really your skills, personality, style, the final product, and professionalism that counts...
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #84
Major Player

I do a few weddings a year and I shoot with A1 and H1, I get great footage from my cameras and I never thought that I would trade those two, recently I bought the T2i just to test it out and see how it holds up comparing to my other cameras, well I was very surprised with footage shot inside with lowlight, you just cannot beat DSLR cameras, I see why everybody else switching to DSLR, of course it's not easy to work with but the end result is just amazing.

here is a highlight of that wedding that I just did, 80% of the footage was shot with T2i, all the reception was shot with the T2i.

Eric & Margaret Wedding Highlights
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #85
Trustee

Great job Michael! IMHO you are using a DSLR in a way that really works for you. I wish everyone could follow your example!
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
I do a few weddings a year and I shoot with A1 and H1, I get great footage from my cameras and I never thought that I would trade those two, recently I bought the T2i just to test it out and see how it holds up comparing to my other cameras, well I was very surprised with footage shot inside with lowlight, you just cannot beat DSLR cameras, I see why everybody else switching to DSLR, of course it's not easy to work with but the end result is just amazing.

here is a highlight of that wedding that I just did, 80% of the footage was shot with T2i, all the reception was shot with the T2i.

Eric & Margaret Wedding Highlights

Hey Michael, did you code that player by hand or did you use software?
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Nice work... a little bit shaky sometimes.. but overall great job. I'm going to do my first DSLR wedding this saturday. It will be stressful =)
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Great job Michael! IMHO you are using a DSLR in a way that really works for you. I wish everyone could follow your example!
Thank you Jim for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Michael, did you code that player by hand or did you use software?
The guy who did my website also build me that player, I'm not sure if he used some kind of software or not !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Nice work... a little bit shaky sometimes.. but overall great job. I'm going to do my first DSLR wedding this saturday. It will be stressful =)
Thanks Taky, I agree with you about the shakiness for some footage, I only used monopod on my T2i, I am looking for light tripod so I can maneuver around as easy as the monopod.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #89
Major Player

I shot this with a Canon 7D and T2i
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #90
Major Player

Hi Taky,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
You're going to love it, though I don't think I could have made the switch mid-season. I decided to sell of the XHA1's in March and had a few months to get comfortable with the cameras. I predict though that you're going to crave faster lenses very soon. The Sigma 18-250 is a great super-zoom, but at f6.3 at the long end you're really tied to a light, which may not be the way you want to shoot when you see how beautiful naturally lit interiors can be with a very fast lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques