DSLR's for wedding video? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #91
Inner Circle

Switching in the off-season would be a really good idea. We switched right at the start of the season; got the cameras and everything else in hand and had a wedding in the Bahamas 2 days later. It was crazy trying to go all DSLR that fast. d;-)
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #92
Major Player

Hey Jim, funny thing.. we thought the exact opposite.. the T2i is much easier to shoot with than the 7d. different strokes...
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #93
Trustee

Hey Scott, I don't know by my own experience. I was just passing on the opinion of a couple of associates who have used both. I have a hunch it has to do with whichever camera one has the most hands-on time with. ;-)
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #94
Major Player

No, the t2i for us was just simpler as far as the wheels and dials and the Q menu. We owned the 7d for a few months prior to switching and the difference was immediate that the t2i was set up simpler and easier to get set for a shot. Like I said though, just our opinion.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #95
Inner Circle

haha.. I'm already craving for fast lens. Just boguht a tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Now just need another lens with a better zoom range and low F value. Any suggestion?
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #96
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I Now just need another lens with a better zoom range and low F value. Any suggestion?
The Canon 24-70 f2.8L is a must have lens, not a big zoom range but in between before you go to the 70-200 lens, that will cover all your range.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #97
Major Player

The 24-70 is beautiful. So amazingly sharp too. Also keeps colours just as we want them.

Dont forget that if you slap this onto a t2i or 7D the crop factor can help you get a lot tighter.

We often use this lens on the 5D to shoot our timelapses.

Were now all DSLR. 2x 7D and 1x 5DMK2. We phased in the change until we were comfortable with the limitations of the camera and had all the necessary gear needed to work around them.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #98
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Switching in the off-season would be a really good idea. We switched right at the start of the season; got the cameras and everything else in hand and had a wedding in the Bahamas 2 days later. It was crazy trying to go all DSLR that fast. d;-)
I switched in the off season (December). I contacted a few photographer friends and asked if they had any upcoming brides that didnt' have video so I could practice on their wedding for cheap.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #99
Major Player

Quote:
haha.. I'm already craving for fast lens. Just boguht a tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Now just need another lens with a better zoom range and low F value. Any suggestion?
Nothing is faster than 2.8 with zoom, if you want fast, I get a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and Rokinon 85mm F1.4, those are my two lens I use all the time at reception, you won't even need light anymore with those.
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:47 AM   #100
Inner Circle

Quote:
Take a look at the Canon 17-55 2.8. It's my 'go to' lens, and unlike the 24-70 it has IS, which makes it a bit more versatile for us.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM   #101
Major Player

Love using the 17-55 2.8 IS during situations where you're caught off guard. Being able to handhold the camera due to the lens' IS system without the jello is pretty sweet :).
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM   #102
Inner Circle

I bought a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 with IS. It's in my bag.. but the zoom range isn't big enough. I will test it out tonight at wedding =)
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #103
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Nothing is faster than 2.8 with zoom, if you want fast, I get a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and Rokinon 85mm F1.4, those are my two lens I use all the time at reception, you won't even need light anymore with those.
Koi I also love the Rokinon 85mm. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have IS, so I'm tied down to a tripod position much of the time with it.
I do shoot with a DVMulti Rig with body pod for full time steady support. But a lens without IS, tends to pickup mico vibrations too easily.

But I do agree, the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 is a great medium closeup lens to have for low light shooting. And love the tactile feel of a full manual lens. Nice and smooth.

Currently my crop of lenses are:

Tamron 17-70mm 2.8 VC
Canon 50mm 1.8
Sigma DC OS 18-200mm 3.5-6.3
Rokinon 85mm 1.4
MIR 28mm 1.4

The Sigma lens is good, but low light isn't. I mainly got this lens for shooting in good light and the onboard IS. As I didn't have the money at the time for the Canon 18-200 IS F4 or F2. For the most part I use the Tamron lens as my normal walk around lens and love it. I also will use the Sigma for a walk around lens as well in daylight.

But for low light I would use the Tamron 2.8, Rokinon 1.4, and Canon 50mm 1.8. Since I have the Tamron, I don't really need a fast 30mm prime, but wouldn't mind one.

BTW, I'm eying the 16mm 2.8 Zenitar lens. Even though it's a fisheye, on a cropped sensor camera you don;t get much barrel distortion with it. And I think that it would look wonderful on a glidecam or moving camera shots of a room, landscapes, or decorations. FISHEYE ZENITAR 2.8/16 LENS for Canon
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #104
Major Player

Taky, I too really like the 17-55 canon

I also found the Sigma 30 1.4 to be my go to lens if scenes are really dark. It's AMAZING what you can do with that lens. I didn't get the Canon 50mm cause the ring is a piece a junk to me.

I actually love the crop factor when it comes to ceremonies. My 7D can get close then my other videographers 5D so the 70-200 is great!!! I actually think you need a longer lens like a 300 or 400mm for down the middle of the aisle shots. You could get a close up of them putting the rings on. Sometimes it's hard to get it from the sides.

Now I need a Macro Lens. 100mm is my next purchase. You can't get good ring shots without one.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #105
Major Player

Has anyone ever compared the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 to Canon 85mm f1.8? Both are at the same price range and have gotten good reviews.

I also recently purchased a Canon 100mm f2.8 for my macro (I love macro!!) but planning on using it as a portrait lens too.. not sure if this is recommended, but I tried it out last week and am happy with the image quality on portrait.

With the Tamron I found that the focus ring is not as smooth so I avoid using them for big rack focusing. I own a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 which is a great lens but its too tight on 7D, so I bought the Canon 28mm f1.8.. still waiting for it to arrive so can't comment much on it

Kelly, I think you can still get good ring shots without macro lens. It does help if you want to get a closeup shot of the diamond, but not all ring shots must be like that IMO.

Michael, I would recommend a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 for your glidecam. I've been using it lately and it is just perfect on my 7D! You get a good ultra wide and a wide out of it and best thing is that it doesn't shift centre of gravity when zooming so I dont have to keep adjusting my merlin setting.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques