DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Epson 1400 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/480166-epson-1400-a.html)

David Grinnell June 9th, 2010 01:58 PM

Epson 1400

Hey guys I know a few of you use these printers for your wedding DVDs.. I resently got one and got some TY water shield dvds to print on... unfortunatly the rollers on the printer are rubbing lines in the finnish of the glossy disc.. so I sent off for a replacement, it arives today test it out, same thing is happening... its not that noticeable but I see it and it bugs the fire out of me...

anybody have any ideas here?

Thanks

Don Bloom June 9th, 2010 03:40 PM

Hey David,
Glad you got the replacement sorry to hear about the lines again. Man it's got me beat. I just did a bunch of full face DVDs this morning and I went back and looked at them and didn't see any lines so the only thing I can guess like before is the rollers might just be a hair too tight. Maybe Epson can tell you how to adjust them (if they can be).

David Grinnell June 9th, 2010 03:46 PM

Don,

I thought that too, and I also thought maybe its a faulty tray?? but I will be calling them again tomorrow... just hate the hassle it is to go through all this

Susanto Widjaja June 9th, 2010 09:10 PM

I also have that same problem with my ip4700

its very annoying and I have researched and it says that it is because of the TY disc is a bit too thick causing the roller to squash it.

I haven't found a direct solution to it so far so I would love to hear how u go about it.

Thanks

Santo

David Grinnell June 9th, 2010 09:29 PM

I'm gonna try a few things when I get home tonight

*edit* and nope non of them worked...

David Grinnell June 10th, 2010 09:05 AM

Well I called them and they are sending me yet another one... haha starting to look like a printer sales man lives here with printers everywhere...

but anyway hopes are high for this one, I mean I can't be that un lucky... can I?? haha

David

Don Bloom June 10th, 2010 10:19 AM

You sure they're just shipping printers?

0|0
\--/

Susanto Widjaja June 10th, 2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Grinnell (Post 1537023)
Well I called them and they are sending me yet another one... haha starting to look like a printer sales man lives here with printers everywhere...

but anyway hopes are high for this one, I mean I can't be that un lucky... can I?? haha

David

ebay time!

David Grinnell June 10th, 2010 11:50 PM

haha, I'd have to list them as "dvd surface scuffers+ printer" to be honest :D

Jeff Kellam June 15th, 2010 04:49 PM

It's a well known issue, not a problem. All the Epsons do it.

Post a photo so we can see if it is abnormally bad.

Don Bloom June 15th, 2010 05:24 PM

Hi Jeff,
I have to disagree that it's a well known issue and that all all the Epsons do it. Neither of my R200s do it and my 1400 doesn't either. I print a lot of full face discs but I will say that Davids post about the issue made me look a lot closer at the faces of my discs (I printed off 30 full face discs today-lots of black and gold) and did not see any scuff lines. It is something though to keep in mind and watch for.
I hope Davied gets it resolved the 1400 is a nice printer especially if you have to do anything bigger than an 8X10 for any reason. The 13X19 ability is really a plus.

Mark Watson June 15th, 2010 05:34 PM

My Epson R1800 prints onto DVDs with no issues.

David Grinnell June 15th, 2010 07:00 PM

Hey guys,

Got my third one in today, fired it up printed test page and all.... (*Que chariots of fire music) Put the DVD in the... well you get the idea haha..

Printed out a few and I'm satisfied.... FINALLY!!

I must say that Epson's customer service was good and they were sending me printers like crazy to make me happy.

So I would say that its a known problem but not all of them do it, you have to find the right one :)

Philip Howells June 16th, 2010 01:52 AM

David, as well as considering the roller setup, it sounds to me as though the ink might not be drying fast enough. I assume since they're new that you're using genuine Epson inks, but I wonder if the problems are anything to do with your local temperature/humidity.

Certainly here in northern UK I only have problems like this is I get ink on the rollers due to misaligned trays etc, ie operator error. During the summer (ie when we're printing most disks) we're usually 14-24 degrees C with humidity in the 30-50% range.

David Grinnell June 16th, 2010 04:21 PM

Philip,

The problem wasnt the ink, it would "scuff" the disc even when I would hit print then cancel after it sucked it in there so nothing would print... so it had to be the rollers were too rough or something like that. ( not that I'm a printer master haha)