Dealing with speeches audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #16
Major Player

If you are recording two channels independently in camera, you should be able to lower the volume on to a level good for applause and the other a little higher for speech. In post you just just duplicate the left channel on one audio track and duplicate the right for the other, then blend the audio tracks together.

Basically you need to attenuate one mic and not the other.

Hopefully I'm not repeating what others have said, if so... you won't forget it :)
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Major Player

I used a recoder wired to the output of the DJ's sound system. He was using a wireless handheld mic for the speech makers.

On my cam I had my shotgun sent to ch1 and 2. One channel was set considerably lower than the other.

I can then use the recorder audio for the speech dialog and the cameras audio for background and applause. Since one channel is set lower than the other I should have my choice of which to use based on how loud things are.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
The problem to avoid is recording the speeches from a radio microphone clipped to a coat that's now closer to the speakers' fundament than his mouth.
with some speeches it wouldn't really matter would it?

thank god I live in the land of the lecturn!
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

I was actually quite amazed..it seems that we are the only country in the world where the reception venues supply a lectern!!!

It's our gain however..you have a pretty much standard mic position and the person doing the speeches stands relatively still!! Makes our job a lot easier!!! I have already heard of techniques like hiding mics in floral arrangements and moving them in front of each speaker at the bridal table but the lectern still beats them all and we get pretty good audio!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
thank god I live in the land of the lecturn!
Here in Hawaii, a lectern or podium is also present in almost every wedding I've ever shot. Makes shooting speeches and toasts a breeze.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Travis,

I have an H4N but haven't used it an event yet. Any advice on levels? I'd be surprised if the auto level control worked as it should but I'd also love to be surprised that it does the job. Mic'ing really hot sources like speakers seems to be a hit or miss proposition because you can never be quite sure if they'll change the output.
I've got the H4N and love it. I had been just using the H4Ns onboard mic and pointing it at the speakers, but the result was just too muddy. Now I just take a 1/4" line out from the DJs board (not XLR) straight into the recorder and set my levels manually (usually between 50-60 for speeches). Audio from the DJ's wireless handhelds has been great - very clean.
John J. Arnold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques