Photo Booth at Wedding Reception at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Photo Booth at Wedding Reception

We recently start to offer Photo Booths at weddings. It was so much fun! Photos were printed in 12 seconds. All the digital files are available for download by the wedding guests. Here's some fun pics
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Booth at Wedding Reception-pb168.jpg   Photo Booth at Wedding Reception-pb130.jpg  

Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Cool idea, but isn't there a risk of all guest disappearing during reception to check out the booth?
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Trustee

I find this idea and others of a similar nature like throw away cameras on the dining tables, very interesting. The reason is because they're all opportunities for photographic activity which photographers in general simply aren't fulfilling, leaving it to the clients themselves or bright entrepreneurs like Taky..

Just as we offer clients the loan of a small video camera for their honeymoon and convert the chip-full, unedited to a DVD, why aren't photographers taking ownership of these ideas?

Why aren't they setting up booths, why aren't they offering to manage the throwaway cameras?

The usual answer it seems to me is that too many are only interested in doing their traditional job (a nineteenth century job I should add) and not changing and developing their offering the meet the demands of their 21st century clients. For example, how many have invested in a Fuji 3D camera and offered a selection of 3D portraits? How many have even invested a few dollars in a Stereo Realist and done a roll of stereo pairs? A roll of film (how many of them even remember film?) forty cardboard mounts, a 50c viewer and 30 minutes work and they have an edge over their competitors.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:57 AM   #4
Trustee

I wonder if the photog would get upset?

I've thought about doing the same thing for video - a booth for guest best wishes - anybody done something like this?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Trustee

Paul, two questions, two answers:

1 So what if he cares. If he doesn't do it why shouldn't someone else. The only problem might arise when Taky and the photographer are providing photo booths.

2 Many in the UK already do but frankly whilst a photo of daft faces can be amusing, hours of drunken daftness isn't. Because we come from a 30 year background of interviewing and for a period, teaching people to interview, we include our "signature" interviews with the close family and friends. These are one-to-one, revealing without being intrusive and valued by every client. But there's a knack and the cop out is the video booth.

These are, as always, merely my opinions and what do I know?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

I have a similar event at all my weddings. I finish the photoshoot long before the photog so I then go to the reception and do little interviews with the guests having pre-dinner drinks.
It's actually a good time to do it as well as they are not drunk yet and are usually relaxing at the venue prior to the evening getting underway.

Always goes down well with my brides but then again if you are shooting in a cinematic style it spoils the mood. All my weddings are done documentary style so the guest interviews, comments and advice to the couple fit in well and brides love them!!

I have actually had a bride ask me for a specific video booth during the reception so when the guests have finished eating they can come to a central area and say their piece. It is, however the first time a client has asked for a specific "booth session" ... it is concerning (which Philip has already mentioned) that if it's well into the evening you might get a few intoxicating remarks. I would say that maybe as soon as the guests are seating and the bride arrives, one could contemplate a video booth session?????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Many in the UK already do but frankly whilst a photo of daft faces can be amusing, hours of drunken daftness isn't.
Been there, done that.. and never ever again. Fun at start untill the guests are drunk, my video booth was unmanned and when I viewed the footage the day after I aged a few year seach time :) It's no fun seeing guests putting sigarette tips against the camera lens, spilling beer over the booth or climbing on the booth because they think it's cool to show themselves upside down in front of the lens. Also the constant silly drunk dancing in front of the camera got really annoying after a while.

This was one of the reasons I decided not to offer it anymore, it was extremely populair though but it was hurting my business as people only hired the videobooth instead of a weddingvideo and since I can charge much more for that last one the decission was made quickly to stop with it.

The videobooth serves as a Guinea pigs house now and thats more fun too watch.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post

I've thought about doing the same thing for video - a booth for guest best wishes - anybody done something like this?
It sounds like a good idea.. But I always do my interview personally. Through the process, there're lots of funny footage goes to the bloopers chapter. the B&G always appreciate the extra effort that I make everybody talk.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
.... The only problem might arise when Taky and the photographer are providing photo booths.
It would not happen as the client has to pay for photo booth. So it's very unlikely they will pay for 1 photobooth from the photographer and another one from the videographer.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

What brand photobooth did you end up purchasing?
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

We built our own photo booth =).. so it's LA Color Brand =)
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Taky,
I would rent one from you, but the shipping to Florida might get expensive.......
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post

Upset? The photographers are too busy offering photo/video fusion and cutting into our field.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Major Player

I asked a couple different photographers what they thought and they were all for it. Really, I don't think it hurts their business at all.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #15
Trustee

I don't know how pressured photographers think they are but how about these?

a) at a wedding a couple of weeks back, the photographer spent the first couple of hours of the evening event projecting images from the afternoon wedding on to a make-shift screen in the bar and selling prints he ran off there and then on an Epson printer.

b) at last weekend's wedding the "lady" photographer yelled from the first floor window from which she took the whole group shot that she would be taking orders fro any guest later in the bar.

c) at another, a guest who (according to the visiting cards she spread around the tables at the wedding breakfast) claimed to be a wedding photographer herself, took shots of other guests on a small Fuji SLR. printed them at her table on a compact HP printer and made them up in plastic keyring fobs which she sold for £3 a throw!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques