Photographers Referral System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Photographers Referral System

Hi all,

I've been wanting to get more involved in the wedding market. I have known quite well a few photographers in my area that have a very good reputation in the wedding industry. And some of them have actually started to refer me to their clients purely because we are friends..

However, I want to take it further by giving like 10% comission for referring me so that I have much closer relationship with the photographers.. and I want to do it with more than 1 photographers

Now.. my only concern is, if I do it with several photographers, what if one client ask me for a photographer referral.. what should I do? I can't be referring to just one of them because that may not be a fair return to the other photographers..

Just wanna know if anyone is using this system and how to make it fair for all parties.. any suggestions are welcomed :)

Cheers!

John
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Major Player

As far as commissions for referrals, we tried that once 10 years ago. It was way to complicated to keep up with.

It's easier just to say thank you and be courteous.

Over time, you'll likely find 1 or 2 photographers who are consistently sending you clients. When that happens maybe do something nice for them at like Christmas time or some other time... Offer to pay for dinner or something like that. Plus it's easier just to recommend a couple folks that you can really get behind, instead of like "here's 5 or 6 that I know".

Typically, there are way more photographers than videographers. I know in my town, there are 5 photography studios downtown within 1 block of each other (3 are on one street, and 2 are on another).

Also, what you'll probably want to do is associate yourself with photographers who get high $ weddings and events.
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I market myself purely on the fact that "I don't pay people to recommend me, they recommend me because I'm easy to work with and deliver good results".

I steer well clear of any wedding planner, photographer, caterer that asks for kickbacks.

Kickbacks lead to greed. Greed leads to evil. Evil leads to the dark side...
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Amen to that John!!

The moment money is envolved there is a problem..plus you have to up your prices to cover the kickback too. All in all a bad situation!!

I work with and refer jobs to just one photographer and he does the same for me cos we are mates and enjoy working with each other. There is no exchange of money whatsoever!!

Just the fact that if you pay for leads from photogs then that means that you are not marketing your service correctly!! I'd much rather pass the savings onto the bride!!

There is PLENTY of work in Perth anyway!! We had an estimated 11,000 weddings here in 2008/09 according to stats so there really is no need to pay other vendors for leads..an informative website and a few listings in the wedding directories is all you need. I give Bridal Expos a miss too!! They end up costing you over $5K once you configure your time and costs so you end up doing the next set of weddings for free which you would have booked anyway!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys for all inputs. I guess I'll steer clear from referral bonus money. I'm a good friend to most of them anyway and they are very pleased with our video.. so I think I'm in the right path!

Chris, I haven't really put myself in wedding directories.. I don't know why.. at the moment its more of a 'helping a friend' out kind of video service so I'd rather work within my circle of friends as much as possible (for now). Maybe next year once I've collected enough portfolio, confidence and skill.. I can commit myself further. We'll see.. :)

Thanks anyway guys.. it answered my question perfectly!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Trustee

I don't pay for referrals, but what you can do is this:
On your website or blog, create a "Preferred vendor's list" of all the vendors you enjoyed working with. They will do the same for you. Word of mouth referrals are the best advertising, and it's free.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Trustee

Thats true.. i used to do it but its a lot easier to work without. U will make true friends in the industry. I normally pass the discount to the couple if they work with a photographer of my choice =) The photographers do the same.
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Major Player

According to the pecking order, you probably won't be referring photographers that often. Pass your referrals onto the florist, the limo or the makeup artist.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If you are new to the market and if someone can refer you business for a small fee, I would say go for it. Once you established your market, you can start referring customers to other vendors.. Then I would stop paying for referrals as it's a two way street.

I started a similar thread here that a wedding planner we work together for many years start asking for referrals. I said no to her since I also have been referring business to her.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ll-you-do.html
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I am primarily a photographer - Mike Brice: Editorial and Wedding Photographer - but I am interested in video for corporate communications so I read this board to learn.

I would agree with others who have said do NOT pay for referrals. What makes the referral system work is mutual respect. Learn to work together. I refer to videographers who are professional, deliver a great product and have an unobtrusive style like mine on the wedding day.

If you really want to secure a relationship with a photographer, offer to collaborate on a promo video for their website or blog - either free or at a reduced price. These promo videos are becoming very popular - and the more that photographer books, the more that photographer will refer to you.

Thanks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Hi all,

I've been wanting to get more involved in the wedding market. I have known quite well a few photographers in my area that have a very good reputation in the wedding industry. And some of them have actually started to refer me to their clients purely because we are friends..

However, I want to take it further by giving like 10% comission for referring me so that I have much closer relationship with the photographers.. and I want to do it with more than 1 photographers

Now.. my only concern is, if I do it with several photographers, what if one client ask me for a photographer referral.. what should I do? I can't be referring to just one of them because that may not be a fair return to the other photographers..

Just wanna know if anyone is using this system and how to make it fair for all parties.. any suggestions are welcomed :)

Cheers!

John
Mike Brice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques