DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Indian wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/481492-indian-wedding.html)

Dror Levi July 6th, 2010 10:32 PM

Indian wedding

For those who filmed and edited an Indian wedding.
I have about 35 min of the the Baraat dancing and wander how long of it should i end up with.
I am not sure if Ia 10 min montage will do it.
TX

Kiflom Bahta July 7th, 2010 12:25 AM

I say put it all as long you capture it right. they would love you for that.

Will Tucker July 7th, 2010 08:46 AM

I agree, the longer the better.

Dror Levi July 7th, 2010 11:19 AM

Thank you guys.

Kelly Langerak July 8th, 2010 09:43 AM

In my experience they are not about style of the editing. Putting it all in is the best way to do it. Indian weddings take up the most tape, but they are easy to edit cause it doesn't take a lot of thought.

They are more about capturing every moment possible.

Kren Barnes July 8th, 2010 10:53 AM

I agree, the more footage the better...once we did a 50 minute "cinematic" edit for an East Indian wedding and although they liked it..they asked if we can give them a raw documentary version of the entire event which was about 4 hours long...

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca

Kyle Root July 15th, 2010 01:11 PM

Yes, on Indian weddings, they don't really care about the actual edting. They just want all the footage and lots of close ups.

I did one in 2009. 3 days worth of filming (Fri, Sat, and Sun... total location time over 20 hours) at different locations (approx 30 miles apart in different cities). When it was all said and done, I crammed something like 5 or 6 hours of footage onto 2 DVDs and made 7 copies of it for them.

It was for a friend from high school. Gave them a mega deal. Otherwise, for such a job, the price would have been about $15,000 for that wedding video.

Needless to say, I don't market Indian weddings. lol

Kelly Langerak July 16th, 2010 04:35 PM

I do market it. You know why? My first Indian wedding 2 months ago got my 5 more weddings from friends and family. They won't leave me alone. Yeah I would have to agree that they can be very demanding and cheap to say the least. I did a $40K plus wedding and they were trying to get my package down by $200.

I'm no longer intimated by people like this. Especially if it's a good referral, they will pay more for people they can trust. Plus, they are wonderful folks to work with.

I tried using my 7D for the last Indian wedding ceremony. That was a mistake.

Dan Shallenberger July 25th, 2010 11:17 AM

Kelly, can I ask why it was a mistake to use your 7D?

Kiflom Bahta July 25th, 2010 12:28 PM

You need a camera that has large cards or tape based. You will also need a camera that shoot continuously, i don't know if the 7d is capable of that. One you are done pls don't color grade, leave the colors as they are.

Dan Shallenberger July 25th, 2010 10:28 PM

Yeah, I can see that now. I don't know what I was thinking when I asked that question. I was grateful for 1.5 hours of continuous capture with my HMC150 last time I shot an Indian wedding. Can't imagine shooting 12 minutes at a time.