Wedding Photographer Fail - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Major Player

I really feel bad for the guy, but I don't understand why does he have to be so close to the B&G throughout the whole aisle, a little bit of zoom doesn't hurt but going in the water with your gear does !!!!!!!!
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I am a photographer, listening and reading here to learn about video. When I shoot a wedding, I always bring a change of clothes - everything shoes, socks, underwear, pants, shirt - and I have two to three backup cameras, lenses, memory cards and flashes in the car.

So if this happened to me - which I hope it never does. I would change, pull the cards, grab the back-up gear and keep shooting.

Monday morning I would file a claim with my insurance, and have new gear in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I wonder how or if the photographer was able to shoot the rest of the day. Both cameras and lenses took a thrashing. Maybe he hijacked a guest's camera? Unless he was close to his house, he'd have to buy new clothes too.
Mike Brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Since we're sharing photog fails. This Jack A$$ was at a wedding we did a couple weeks back. He asked his assistant to hold the scrim between the groom and his bestman. When the groom turned around to get the ring for the exchange he bumped into the assistant. Needless to say the photog was a "friend" of the grooms father.
Attached Thumbnails
Wedding Photographer Fail-photofail.jpg  
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Haro View Post
Since we're sharing photog fails. This Jack A$$ was at a wedding we did a couple weeks back. He asked his assistant to hold the scrim between the groom and his bestman. When the groom turned around to get the ring for the exchange he bumped into the assistant. Needless to say the photog was a "friend" of the grooms father.
In fairness though I have been in this situation. It looks like the scrim was used to block the bride from being in the sun. Otherwise you'll have either an overexposed bride (like the bridesmaids appear) or a silhouetted groom with where they are standing.

I ended up exposing for the bride (sunny side) and fixing the groom/groomsmen in post. Thank goodness for 14-bit RAW files!

As goofy as it looks it was a good idea for the photos/video.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I understand the reasoning behind it and can definitely see doing that during the formal pictures, but during the ceremony is extremely invasive and distracting.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
I don't understand why does he have to be so close to the B&G throughout the whole aisle, a little bit of zoom doesn't hurt but going in the water with your gear does !!!!!!!!
My guess is that he's shooting with a super wideangle lens. His telephoto is hanging near his right hip.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
I don't understand why does he have to be so close to the B&G throughout the whole aisle
I shot a wedding a few weeks ago and I swear the photogrpaher must have shot the entire thing with the Tokina 11-16 or something similar. He was never more than 18 inches from the bride throughout the entire service and photo shoot.

I can't imagine shooting close-up portaits with a lens like that. Apart from being invasive to the couple's personal space, it's not a particularly flattering look. He appeared in almost every single shot I had, along with his assistant who was toting a remote flash. Even worse he was not certain and confident with his decisions - so he'd set up his assistant, position himself, take a few shots, review them, move his assistant and then re-shoot the same setup, sometimes 2-3 times.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I love the fact that as the Photographer is falling, the bride is walking off towards her car etc.. The groom did notice - but she has him walking on out of the church!!
Ian McElroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques