English as she is spoken .... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Trustee

English as she is spoken ....

We participants in this forum know well how the vagaries of a common language can distort meanings but I’m sure we can all share the incongruity of a mis-spelling/typo we noticed on a recent wedding breakfast menu:

Between items headed “Starter” (vegetable soup) and “Main Course” (roast pork) came a Lemon Sorbet described as “Pallet Cleanser”.

We're one of the few video companies that don't expect the clients to feed us, but no doubt it was one of those water ices that take the skin off the roof of your mouth!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

While dining in Honfleur in Northern France I took the gourmet set menu & was intrigued that course 4 or 5 was a Trou Normande which translates as Norman Hole. It actually turned out to be a sorbet made from the local cider with a touch of Calvados the local apple brandy (which would probably clean your pallets up a treat).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #3
Major Player

And I, as a dutch guy who speaks reasonabe english, dont understand a f ... what you are talking about.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Kies - The correct term is palate cleanser. A pallet is the wood frame you load things onto, before shipping by truck (or should I say lorry).
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

And it's not confined to the northern hemisphere. In the studio my dear old friend Ross H. used to fire up new clients with his wonderful warm up which included script lines like ..

'What's that on the road a head?'

And a beautiful but dumb voice actress who once blurted out ..'we can't start yet Anns not here'

Ann. was the live announcer. Gotta keep a straight face.
Cheers.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
While dining in Honfleur in Northern France I took the gourmet set menu & was intrigued that course 4 or 5 was a Trou Normande which translates as Norman Hole. It actually turned out to be a sorbet made from the local cider with a touch of Calvados the local apple brandy (which would probably clean your pallets up a treat).
Here in the spring, you go to the Cabane à Sucre (Sugar Shack) to eat maple syrup drenched food. One of my favourite desserts at that meal is 'Pets des soeurs', which means 'Nun's farts...'

Gotta love Quebec.
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode View Post
And I, as a dutch guy who speaks reasonabe english, dont understand a f ... what you are talking about.
Kees, accept my apologies, I didn't mean the topic to be exclusive - though in fairness your command of the old German terms that we've absorbed into English seems quite adequate.

Best regards
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Major Player

No worries, I was just wondering. Since Bill explained that it should be palate instead of pallet I understand the hilarity.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques