Need opinion on back-up batteries - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Chip

Couldn't let this one pass without a comment!! I think you had best put them into "File13" (the waste basket) I bought 24 a long while back and after 3 recharges they were not even able to run my still camera for more than 5 minutes. I ditched the entire batch!! The most notorious are the one covered in a sickly green plastic!!

I still cannot find decent HMC generics but with my old cams the generics from Hong Kong worked quite well!! Not as good as an OEM but still fairly robust!! Sadly, I have to admit that my Groom's speech failure back in 2008 was caused by a generic battery that was, in fact, fairly new as well. If you are getting generics then at least buy BIG ones...then you have a 5500mah battery that should perform at least as well as your 2200mah OEM ones. The other issue is that some are advertised as having "Japanese Cells". My CCTV 12v packs I use for my Stedicam monitor had them and I opened a pack up and to my delight the cells were made by Panasonic (that pack is STILL going well!!!) Those cells will perform a lot better than the ones made in China.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Inner Circle

That's very true about generic/third party batteries. You can find dirt cheap battery in ebay and there're some a little bit more expensive. I found out there're third party batteries made with "recycled" battery cell. Those are the one you can buy in ebay in a very cheap price.

I also have heard of stories that battery exploded during charging, and battery melted inside the XH-A1. I guess, if you are using third party batteries, make sure get those from reputable reseller.. or at least not those "$9 for 2" batteries in ebay.
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Chris,

What Taky says about using recycled cells, along with your experience makes perfect sense when you look at the price of 65 cents, shipped half way around the world, for those AAs. It also gives a solid reason/excuse why I see those two price points in the low end batteries on Ebay.

I also agree, 65% of the listed time is probably pretty close to right on knock offs. And like you suggested, that is how I bought those I have, the biggest mah listed at the time.

Besides... my cheap Chinese AAs are a nice pretty yellow..... so I'm probably all good. :-)

Honestly, as you already know, if I get a couple more charges than you did, I'll be good with that and will get "real" ones then.

I'd have the cash now for them but it's all DVINFO's fault with that thread on wireless mics as of against DVRs, that I don't. Before seeing that thread, my immediate want list had one more light and some replacement batteries for the cameras. Now... two Yamaha CXs and two Giant Squid lavs later, I still have one more light, replacement batteries for my cams, and now good AAs still on my want list.

So....its not my fault !!!!!! :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques