DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   any better external mic option for 5d? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/482795-any-better-external-mic-option-5d.html)

Susanto Widjaja August 2nd, 2010 08:57 AM

any better external mic option for 5d?

I've used the rode video mic on my 5d but not very loving it. I dont feel much of a difference with the onboard mic..

What do you guys think of this little gem?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3646-REG/Azden_ECZ_990_ECZ_990_Super_Cardioid_Shotgun.html

Cody Dulock August 2nd, 2010 12:51 PM

The pre amps in the 5D are terrible (super noisy), but I still shoot with the rode videomic with the audio set to manual. To get the best audio (from what I have read and listened to) on the 5D you should use an external preamp like the juicedlink cx211 with your microphone. Turning the input gain on the 5D to the lowest setting (one click from the left) and then turning the gain on your juicedlink up to compensate. The juicedlink preamps are really clean where the 5D's are really noisy.

Philip Howells August 2nd, 2010 07:34 PM

Santo, there's an AT mic specifically made for DSLRs, model PRO24-CM. It's got an internal battery and is terminated in a minijack. I can't comment further because I'm not into DLSR video and nor is the photographer for whom I noted the item at an exhibition last year.

Susanto Widjaja August 2nd, 2010 09:04 PM

Hey guys, thank for the replies

regarding juicedlink. I will buy the dt454 to replace my current beachtek dxa-5d. but i will only use it during ceremony where I want to record directly to the 5d.

as for the mic, i have done my researched and read about the pro24, rode stereo videomic, rode mono videomic, mke400, azden 990, azden mx10. The best sound quality would probably come from the sennheiser. maybe because it is the most expensive mic out of all and its directional. second would be the rode stereo videomic. but the only downside for me (maybe not for anyone else) is that none of these mic except for rode stereo videomic has a led on/off button.

I own rode videomic and both me and my second camera person had forgotten to turn the mic back on just because it doesn't have any indicator that its turned on/off. I'm quiet traumatic now because of that.

I think i'm gonna wait until the zoom H1 comes out and see what it offers in terms of dslr audio recording.

Cody Dulock August 3rd, 2010 06:53 AM

My rode videomic has an LED that indicates if the mic is powered on (it will be green) or off (the light will be off). Do you have an older version or something?

Jimmy Conway August 6th, 2010 01:37 AM

Rode videomic seems to work best for me. Try Sennheiser MKE 400 or try using a Juicedlink.

Andy Wilkinson August 6th, 2010 02:32 AM

AT Model PRO24-CM Microphone for Canon DSLRs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1554834)
Santo, there's an AT mic specifically made for DSLRs, model PRO24-CM. It's got an internal battery and is terminated in a minijack. I can't comment further because I'm not into DLSR video and nor is the photographer for whom I noted the item at an exhibition last year.

A mate of mine has recently got one of these for his 7D. He says the sound is terrible, "lots of hiss" (due to the awful AGC on the 7D). He actually said the onboard mic performs marginally better. Double system sound is the way to go. I do use the Rode's (VM and, much more often the SVM) on my 7D for non-critical "family" type stuff and it's OK for things where the sound level is more or less at a constant noise level....until you get any quiet bits - then the AGC pumps up the noise floor.

Sean Seah August 6th, 2010 07:57 AM

One way is to use an external recorder like the H1 and send the output via a -25db pad to the camera. The sound would be better but not to a great deal due tot the noisy pre amps. However that would allow very easy syncing wi Plural eyes.

Steve Pond August 10th, 2010 07:09 PM

I have the Sennheiser MKE 400 and the quality is OK, but I'm not very satisfied. In spite of it's mini-shotgun appearance, it tends to capture a lot more peripheral noise than expected. The included foam wind noise suppressor is worthless, allowing a considerable amount of wind noise even in very light conditions. I've used it in 3 to 5 mph winds, which is almost undetectable with a quality shotgun mic, and the MKE 400 sounds like it's in the middle of a tropical storm. I've yet to find a suitable replacement to knock down the wind noise, but perhaps there's a solution. With the included muff, you'll get wind noise while panning in dead air.

I've found that there are not many good microphones that use a 3.5mm plug. It's not as good as an XLR, but I think most of the companies that are making microphones with this size jack are assuming that nobody will be looking for a high-quality mic. If you want really good sound quality, the best bet for now is to get an XLR to 3.5mm mini jack adapter. It's a little bulky, but it's probably the best option until the manufacturers get serious about compact microphones. A rep from Rode indicated that they're working on a more compact, high-quality mic for these applications, but it probably wont be available until next year.

Kelly Langerak August 10th, 2010 08:40 PM

Susanto, I like my Rhode, but don't love it as well. I do notice that it doesn't record the clicking of the wheel when using the Rhode which is a huge plus for me. I think the rhode is good, but it's too darn flimsy and the rubber bands and the hooks that connect with the rubber bands break to easy.

Susanto Widjaja August 11th, 2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Dulock (Post 1554960)
My rode videomic has an LED that indicates if the mic is powered on (it will be green) or off (the light will be off). Do you have an older version or something?

Mine must be a defect one! crap! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Conway (Post 1556026)
Rode videomic seems to work best for me. Try Sennheiser MKE 400 or try using a Juicedlink.

hi jimmy: sennheiser's review is very good, but I wanna make sure first before I buy it. it is currently sitting on the top of the list. I'm ordering juicedlink from bh, just waiting for the bloody glidecam hd2000 to be in stock.... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1556038)
A mate of mine has recently got one of these for his 7D. He says the sound is terrible, "lots of hiss" (due to the awful AGC on the 7D). He actually said the onboard mic performs marginally better. Double system sound is the way to go. I do use the Rode's (VM and, much more often the SVM) on my 7D for non-critical "family" type stuff and it's OK for things where the sound level is more or less at a constant noise level....until you get any quiet bits - then the AGC pumps up the noise floor.

yea I agree... saw some youtube videos of the pro24 and it definitely gives you a lot of hiss..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1556119)
One way is to use an external recorder like the H1 and send the output via a -25db pad to the camera. The sound would be better but not to a great deal due tot the noisy pre amps. However that would allow very easy syncing wi Plural eyes.

sean: would you sync all of your prep shots with using plural eyes? have you done so before? because I just get turned off by the amount of syncing pluralyes has to do.. wonder how long it will take... but it is going to give us the best sound... btw, why the -25db pad?? what is that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Pond (Post 1557789)
I have the Sennheiser MKE 400 and the quality is OK, but I'm not very satisfied. In spite of it's mini-shotgun appearance, it tends to capture a lot more peripheral noise than expected. The included foam wind noise suppressor is worthless, allowing a considerable amount of wind noise even in very light conditions. I've used it in 3 to 5 mph winds, which is almost undetectable with a quality shotgun mic, and the MKE 400 sounds like it's in the middle of a tropical storm. I've yet to find a suitable replacement to knock down the wind noise, but perhaps there's a solution. With the included muff, you'll get wind noise while panning in dead air

I've found that there are not many good microphones that use a 3.5mm plug. It's not as good as an XLR, but I think most of the companies that are making microphones with this size jack are assuming that nobody will be looking for a high-quality mic. If you want really good sound quality, the best bet for now is to get an XLR to 3.5mm mini jack adapter. It's a little bulky, but it's probably the best option until the manufacturers get serious about compact microphones. A rep from Rode indicated that they're working on a more compact, high-quality mic for these applications, but it probably wont be available until next year.

thanks for that. that has just brought the mke300 straight down the bottom of the list. i saw some great youtube samples of it but mostly were shot indoors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak (Post 1557814)
Susanto, I like my Rhode, but don't love it as well. I do notice that it doesn't record the clicking of the wheel when using the Rhode which is a huge plus for me. I think the rhode is good, but it's too darn flimsy and the rubber bands and the hooks that connect with the rubber bands break to easy.

The worst thing for me about the rode video mic is the muffled sound it gives me... maybe I used the wrong setting or something but I just dont like the color of the sound it produce...

All in all, sorry if I sound like I don't know what I want.. I actually really don't know... :P

at the moment I have not found real solution to the 5d audio... I saw patrick from still motion using shot gun with dead cat on it (very big) I'm guessing probably a 416, but that's probably too big for me...

I think the internal mic is not bad at all but I just want something that will not capture my wheel clicking noise.. like what kelly said... but produce better quality than the inbuilt mic..