DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Macro lens on wedding video & next lens recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/482863-macro-lens-wedding-video-next-lens-recommendation.html)

Johannes Soetandi August 3rd, 2010 09:23 PM

Macro lens on wedding video & next lens recommendation

Hi all, end of financial year is here and I'm about to receive a good amount to spend on a new lens (maybe just one as I'm saving for my own wedding hehe).. I just need some recommendation here..

At the moment I'm using my 7D with lenses:
- Tamron 17-50mm VC
- Canon 70-200mm f4L non IS
- Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4

My video partner has a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L & 70-200mm f2.8L & 50mm f1.4 and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. We can share the use of these lenses.

I'm considering on getting a Macro lens (either Tamron 90mm f2.8 or Canon 100mm f2.8 USM). But I just want to know, what do you guys use on wedding with the macro other than specific ring shot? Would the macro on Canon 24-70mm f2.8L do the job?

Apart from a macro lens, would you recommend me on buying a different type of lens? I was considering a wide fixed lens like Sigma 30mm f1.4 as 50mm that I have at the moment is giving me too much zoom with the 1.6x crop factor on 7D.

Any recommendations is appreciated. Thanks! :)

John

Susanto Widjaja August 4th, 2010 01:12 AM

hey johannes,

this is what i found on ken rockwell site

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a special-purpose, fast, fixed normal focal length lens for small-format digital SLRs. It sells for about $420.

This Sigma lens works well when used as intended for hand-held shots in dim light. It's lightweight and works fast and easy, especially with the Nikon D40 and D40x, except that it doesn't focus very well or accurately.

If you shoot Canon, forget this Sigma and get the superior Canon 28mm f/1.8 EF for less money.

If you shoot Nikon, forget this dumpily-made Sigma and get the newest Nikon 35mm f/1.8 for half the price.

You may consider the rest of this review as an historical artifact from the good old first days of digital SLRs.

so I guess, canon 28mm 1.8 would be your best bet. I'm actually getting it myself soon.

lenses recommendation depends on budget too.. I can recommend u a bunch of lenses but it may blow up your budget. one advice though, if you can invest on great lenses, do it. It will worth every penny.

as for macro. 24-70 will do your ring shot ok. you just won't get that nice super close up diamond shot with it. but it will still do the job for ring shots. 100 macro is super sharp lens though.. although i agree that you will only use it for ring shots pretty much.

Johannes Soetandi August 4th, 2010 02:25 AM

Thanks Santo.

When was that review? I searched on eBay and found 28mm f1.8 to be more expensive.. around A$600. But from my quick read it seems that the lens is not that sharp wide open.. any particular reason why you're considering this lens?

I'm looking for that bokeh on prep shot.. It really made the picture stands out. My Super Takumar has really impressed me but at 50mm its quite a challenge.

I've seen pretty impresive shots with 24mm f1.4L but that's out of my league.. :(

Canon 100mm f2.8 is selling for around A$500 secondhand, which is within budget.. but considering your comment, I'm not sure if I will use it that often then.. but I guess for macro, this lens is top of the line so even if I decide to re-sell, it might still sell for good price..

Yeah.. I always get advice on investing on good lenses (eg. the variety of L series).. but man they are so darn expensive.. I would need to sell my kidney to afford one of these! ....... or eat less expensive food.. maybe I should consider buying boxes of indomie instead

Susanto Widjaja August 4th, 2010 07:12 AM

L-series lenses will always retain its resell values quiet good.

28mm 1.8 is the cheapest fast lens at its focal length from canon. Can't really expect much in terms of sharpness wide open since then nobody would buy 24mm 1.4

I dont really find my self using wide lens that often. thats why I'm not fond of getting the 24mm 1.4 now. maybe because I feel that my 24-70 does the wide angle job quiet nicely.. although I do want that 3D look on my wide angle.. hence the 28mm 1.8 comes to the list.

I tend to use 50mm the most so hence I got the 50mm f1.2 which is my go-to lens. but i'm on the ff 5d which in your case, it will be the 35mm 1.4

I would recommend getting one fast fix lens since it will worth your while. 28mm is probably your best budget lens choice at the moment... if not the 35mm 1.4 which is quiet expensive. 35mm does focus very close though...

Johannes Soetandi August 4th, 2010 10:45 AM

Thanks Santo! I'll be looking around for more reviews and that lens and keep a lookout for a secondhand one perhaps. Cheers!

Kelly Langerak August 5th, 2010 05:03 PM

So what are people using for Macro for the ring shot?

I just got the Sigma 30mm for $320 used. Will this lens work?

Johannes Soetandi August 8th, 2010 10:53 PM

I'm yet to discover Kelly. I've made the decision to buy the Canon 100mm f2.8. I've seen some impressives ring shot using a macro lens. It really shows off the ring's beauty as you can focus closer to the design and the diamond. :)

I dont think the 30mm f1.4 Sigma is a macro lens. You can still use it for a ring shot, but you won't be able to focus that close.

Johannes Soetandi August 10th, 2010 07:42 PM

Need another opinion

Hi all,

I was about to purchase the 100mm f2.8 macro.. but held back to ask for another opinion..

At the moment I have my 70-200mm f4L non IS.. while it does its job, I might struggle with low light if the venue is dark.. so I'm considering putting it up for sale and replace with a faster telephoto lens.. I was considerig 70-200mm f2.8L but my business partner already has one so I'm trying to see other options..

Main use will be during the ceremony and/or receptions speeches.. my considerations are:

1. Canon 100mm f2.8.. Because it is also a great macro lens I'm quite tempted on getting this.. but you think it will work well for speeches/vows? Since I'm on 7D this will translate to 160mm.

2. Canon 135mm f2.0L.. I've seen some fantastic images on this. My only concern is that on my 7D it will be a 216mm.. it might be too tight for a prime.. anyone using this on 7D?

3. Canon 85mm f1.8.. Also heard some great review and seems to be in the budget. But would like to hear some opinion of people who've used this for video? Is it recommended?

Thanks all.

John

Susanto Widjaja August 11th, 2010 02:36 AM

good thinking mate

100mm macro is only going to give you one ring shot while a nice other prime will be more use for you at this stage.

85mm will work better on the 7d and its a lot cheaper.

135 is nice, but maybe you'd better off buying 85mm 1.8 and also 28mm 1.8 for that money ?

so you'll get a good all around lens (28mm will be around 45mm on 7d) and also a nice portrait lens for speeches, vows and coctail hour shots

I find myself not using my 70-200 f4 no IS anymore since it is just too shaky on the end bit. but I'm also not convinced to buy a 70-200 f2.8L IS cause its too big.. I'm thinking to just buy the f4 IS. at the moment, my 135 serves me well though.. :)

Andrew Brown August 11th, 2010 05:11 AM

For what it's worth, I use a Sigma 18-50 2.8 macro for the really close up stuff, but also quite like to fly it on the steadicam.
I know it's not as great as a L lens blah, blah, blah but for the price I find it a great lens.

Johannes Soetandi August 11th, 2010 11:23 PM

@Andrew: I've got Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, which is my main lens at the moment and it still does the job. I'm considering a few other lenses to help me get a better image but without breaking the bank too much.

@Santo: mate, I've been sucked by macro.. my mind just keeps imagining those macro images I can get (not just ring shot but also for personal uses etc)... its so hard to get it out of my head!!!

Do you think I can use Canon 100mm f2.8 as a ceremony lens? Although I know I will have to stand at a distance with this lens..... I love the idea of 85mm f1.8.. but if only I can give up the dream of having a macro lens.. :(

Also, I'm still juggling between Canon 28mm f1.8 and Sigma 30mm f1.4.. I've been hearing mixed reviews.... planning to go to a local shop this weekend to try 'em on and judge myself..

135mm is definitely off my list.. not until I'm on a FF camera.. which don't think it'll be anytime soon!

.. I guess the best solutions is to buy them all!!! But gf wouldn't be too happy about it

Randy Panado August 15th, 2010 09:54 AM

Macro lens recommendation :

If on a budget : canon 100 macro

If on a slightly higher budget : zeiss 50 makro

I've used both and currently own the zeiss 50. I've had the zeiss 100 makro as well. I like the zeiss 50 makro more due to the shorter throw and less vibration when trying to do rack focus ring shots on the 7D. YMMV on the shaking though ;). The canon 100 macro wouldn't be consider top of the line but it sure pulls its weight for an EF non L lens.

Keeping in mind minimum focusing distances, you should choose your "ring shot" lenses based on how close you can get along with the focal length. 1:1 or 1:2 macro ability is really a neat thing :). Shot a wedding yesterday and didn't have my 50 makro with me and the 135 even on the 7D crop wasn't enough for a shot that I was happy with it. Take into account the minimum focusing distance.

In regards to the 70-200 F/4 IS, perfect lens for med tight to tight coverage during ceremony and reception. I've used the 70-200 2.8 non IS in the past and unless you mount via the tripod mount on the lens, you will get shake.

Just for fun, here's my recommendations for 7D lenses based on a few years shooting photo and moving that into the HDSLR realm when the 5dmk2 came out :

budget based

sigma 30 1.4 $350 ish
canon 17-55 2.8 IS - $850 or so used
Tokina 50-135 2.8 (needs to be mounted on the tripod mount) - $550 ish
canon 100 macro 2.8 - $450 to $500

less budget based

zeiss 35 f/2 $700 ish
canon 17-55 2.8 IS
canon 70-200 f/4 IS $1000 or so used
zeiss 50 f/2 makro $700 ish

I wouldn't want to share a non budget based 4 lens setup ;).

Keep in mind that some macro lenses were design for CLOSE shooting. If they used more towards infinity side of the focusing distance, the image isn't as strong. This is what I've read from photography forums. This does not apply to all macro lenses, but again, keep that in mind if you're looking to make a macro lens a telephoto substitute due to its focal length.

The in between focal length of 85mm I'm not too much a fan of on the 7D, a 50mm would be more suited for that. However if you still want that focal length, the rokinon 85 1.4 has been getting great reviews and has quite a bit of nice "pop" to the imagery. I'm a zeiss fanatic because I'm all about the 3D pop, but it does come at a price. I would argue though that glass should be one of the areas you should NOT cheap out on as theres a reason why they are expensive :).

Cheers