Alternative to BluDomain.com at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Alternative to BluDomain.com

For a year or two, I've been looking for a company who does a nice-looking, easy to edit, google-search-able website template for $1000 or less. Something along the lines of BluDomain, but I've read certain things that make me nervous about using them. Our church bought a template last year through a company called cloversites.com. As webmaster for the church site, I've been very pleased with them so far - superb customer service. Today, they've announced an expansion for other types of businesses, including artists. I'm not at all affiliated with Clover, other than being a user. But I thought I'd recommend it to others to check out. The cost is $1,000 up front, then $20/month for hosting (100GBs of storage). They've got a nice video player, reservation calendar, and all the other fixin's. Just thought some of you might be interested. I'm definitely considering updating my own.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Do the recent controversies over the future of flash worry any people? I started feeding my youtube channel more when it became clear that my flash samples weren't visible on iphones and now the ipad. Youtube had just started their html5 beta and at the same time the discussions started to circulate that flash would be pushed out of the marketplace in favor of an open source standard. I love the way flash websites come across, but I've kept my aging html design mostly because of the SEO benefits. I've been working on and off on a wordpress website update but I'm still waiting to see how flash will adapt to mobile browsing...
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Wix.com is a really inexpensive solution - you can design your own site from templates and it has a lot of good functionality, including vimeo and youtube support. It's not the most sophisticated out there, but really inexpensive and easy to build a site with.

The Flash controversy doesn't bother me too much - everyone is using it right now, and until that tide changes I'm not too worried. I've never had one person complain about our site being Flash based. You can also build a blog with HTML5 using any of a number of blog creation sites, so you'd have the best of both worlds.

Showitfast.com is another site builder/host solution but they are much more expensive than wix.com. Their interface is also a more steep learning curve - so much so that I determined that I'd need a designer to use showit. They do have lots of nice features that are geared toward photographers (and modifiable for videographer use).

Good luck - and if you find something else please post about it!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques