I need a huge LCD monitor and stand for events, help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Wrangler

I need a huge LCD monitor and stand for events, help?

Hello Wedding/Event folks!
I think this may be my first post in this section!

I'm looking for suggestions on large LCD monitors (50" and up) and heavy duty stands for use such as placing on stage during live events or presentations, or like you would set up for a wedding reception to play clips on for the audience.
My big question is... will any old LCD TV from Costco do the job really? Is there something I'm missing?

Also, thinking of a stand like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571942-REG/H_Wilson_WPSMS44CH_4_WPSMS44CH_4_Universal_Mobile_Flat.htmlor this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/513719-REG/Luxor_LDDFS80S_LDDFS80S_80_Digital_Display.htmlOr are there light stand type stands that do the job? I'm having a hard time finding one, but would rather go that route for portability.

Thank you!
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey there Dylan, I'm still relatively new here and perhaps not the best person to dole out advice, but have you considered getting a good lcd projector and portable screen?

I thinking that you are probably concerned about brightness being a factor at these venues.

A projector with a strong output with a good reflective screen will have a viewable image in most lighting but the brightest venues. While it may never outdo an LCD television, who wants to lug around a tv that big and risk it getting busted up? Also, unless the screen is huge, will a direct view tv hold everybody's attention if the lights in the room/area are too bright?
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quick google search and I found few different solutions - some are supporting up to 72" screens- but the price if hefty - $300 to $700.

The projector solutions might be easier and cheaper, just you'll have to deal with two stands now - one for projector, one for screen.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm not sure exactly what type of events you're thinking of but have you considered the impact of multiple screens?

For wedding fairs we put up one or two single-column stands each with two 22" LCD screens. Actually in our case each carries different HD streams from WD streamers but there's no denying the flow-stopping impact of the screens. The transportability, built-in redundancy and possible overall cost all weigh heavily in their advantage. So too does the more acceptable size when viewed from the closeness demanded at some events.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In any normal room lighting a projector & screen will always be washed out & look pretty poor compared to a TV screen.

Philip's point about multiple screens is good although while for smaller screens a computer monitor will be cheaper they will always lack the punch & visibility of a TV in normal room lighting or rather the colour, brightness & contrast on a TV can be cranked up more:-)

The prices of large screen LCD TVs have plummeted in recent years & the current 'sweet spot' of size/cost seems to be 32". A few months ago we bought a great no-name 32" 1080p set from a local supermarket for under 300 Euros ($400 or £250) which has an excellent picture & is very light & portable so you could easily carry one under each arm when setting up your exhibition stand.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Nigel is right about monitor screens, which is why we use 22" TV screens which actually have a DVD player built int - that makes for a useful belt and braces if anything should happen (which of course it hasn't but that's belt and braces for you) to the WD box or the HDD.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

as someone who setsup for a lot of shows and watches djs/vjs setup events all the time don't go for anything bigger than 36" unless you will have a helping hand. The 32" is a great size, people can stand some what next to it and see it just fine.

Yes the off the shelf LCDs at costco are good enough, just take a look at them before you get them. I don't know what kind of signal you plan to push through them but a 40$ dvd player with HDMI out should suffice.

For the stands, check out DJ suppliers the best ones I have seen are ones with basically winch systems, put the screen on lower so its left lifting then just crank it up to the height you want
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Trustee

Google "lcd ata case" and you'll find several options. ATA = "Air Transport Approved" and is pretty much the generic term for heavy-duty. Yes, you can buy a 50" LCD from Costco, but the case and stand will cost at least as much, maybe more.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Wrangler

Chris, that answers my next question... how do you transport them without killing them. :)

Love the suggestion on dual screens side by side. I've seen stands for those on B&H I think. The client wants something in the 50" range, and may go for two (though probably on seperate stands). Feed will just be HDMI from DVD or laptop.

So I'm looking at:

normal 50" LCD TV from Costco $1200
portable stand $400-$600
travel case $600

So $2200-$2400 per unit. That's probably doable.
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #10
Inner Circle

When you buy the TV keep the cardboard box & styrofoam packing. It won't suffice for air freight but will be fine for carrying about in a car.

Use a media player like a WDTV HD with video files on a USB memory key as not only will it be smaller, lighter & more reliable than a DVD player let alone a laptop but you will be able to play HD materiel for SD may be a bit of a stretch on a 50" screen. It's OK when viewed from a distance but will look pretty pixelated at normal TV viewing distances.

BTW The cardboard box or flight case for a 50" TV is pretty huge.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques