Mini Survey - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
Does it count as hijacking if you started the thread? ;)

Since this is a mini-survey, I wanted to also ask one more question. What pictures do you use for the DVD case and label? Do you coordinate with the photographer and give them credit on the case, do you use screen captures from your footage, do you take some of your own pictures, or do you go another route?
We always ask the B&G to send us the pictures from the photog. never had a problem. once or twice the photogs package don't provide high res pics, this way they ask the photogs to send us the pics directly to us and it worked every time. put the responsibility to the B&G and you'll be fine.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
I'm intrigued to know how those of you who have a high value offering with set pieces built into your contracts, ie. multi camera in church, how do you deal with situations where you are unable to provide it. For example many of the churches in this area insist on only having one camera record the ceremony.
Also, do any of you turn down weddings because you don't feel that you'll be able to produce to your standard. For example a ceremony in a back street chapel (do you have any of those in the US) or reception in a village hall, or heaven forbid an ugly bride?
The answer is that we tailor our technical product to suit the occasion. In your specific example we will firstly meet with the vicar and explain why we need more cameras. If that fails for legitimate reasons eg lack of space, we have all the cameras on radio controlled hotheads so we can provide an operatorless solution - unless you count the person operating the controls from the back/side of the church.

Of course this is a less satisfactory solution but it works when it has to.

Finally to answer the specific questions we always have two people at least, and from next year that'll rise to three. And we make and sell programmes, not hours of work. We take the cover photo from the master.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #18
Major Player

1. They get 10 hours which can not be split up. I do a lot of asian weddings where the Tea Ceremony happens early in the morning. Then the Ceremony starts 4-5 hours later. I'm not working from 8am - midnight without a some compensation. All my clients have agreed. So I charge $25 /hr for the downtime.

2. I stopped getting pics from the photographer as well. I use Final Cut Pro and select the Still Frame from the export options. Works good.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Two unrelated questions I wanted to get some feedback from everyone on.

1) Do you film by yourself, always have an assistant, or sometimes have an assistant?
Always at least two of us shooting and usually another one or two static cameras in the ceremony (so a total of 4 cameras where suitable / allowed). We also have a third person to act as an assistant and occasional shooter (although this is more a case of "stand here and mind that camera"!). I've found that with two people shooting, 2 static cameras, an extra digital audio recorder plugged in to the church sound system and wireless mics on the Groom to take care of, it's hard to keep up with the wedding party unless you have more people to round up the equipment while we are taking shots outside. We like to have one person go ahead to the reception location if possible to make sure we catch the B+G arriving if we get delayed along the way after seeing the B+G leave the church.

It's also the case that if some one is shooting Bride Prep and needs to catch the Bride leaving the prep location then some one better have gone ahead to the church to get setup there a good 45 mins before hand - otherwise it's tough to get the wireless stuff in place and tested and extra cameras setup in time.

Quote:
2) Do you include the number of hours of coverage for the day in the contract, or leave it open-ended?
The lowest package has time limits - the other is feature based - although we like to limit the general shooting to 9:30pm. If first dance is going to be within a reason able time after 9:30pm we stay and shoot it. However, if the first dance is going to be midnight then they are out of luck (unless they booked / paid us to stay later).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques