Do you remind the B&G that the camera is rolling? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Trustee

Do you remind the B&G that the camera is rolling?

I recently shot a wedding reception where the bride was visibly upset with some mis-coordination with the band and DJ. Her aggravation was very apparent shortly after they were seated at the head table. It was very obvious that she was upset at something which renders these particular shots useless. Had she been aware that the camera was running, she probably would have guarded her expressions more.

Do you have pre-shoot instructions that you give the B&G to remind them that they are on film or do you just makes the best of what may come? The other side of the coin is that these 'warnings' can make them uncomfortable and unnatural.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Nope, I roll and cut it if it's stuff like that. If I tell them I'm rolling then I'm possibly changing the feel of the event and I don't want to do that. I have had a few over the years that have come to me and asked if I recorded a "blowup" and I'm always honest with them. If I did, I tell them so and they usually ask me not to include that. Naturally I would never do that anyway so I just assure them that it won't appear anywhere and continue to work.
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

No, my strategy would be to stay out of the way as much as possible. I'm a videographer and not a photographer, after all. ;-)

Part of our responsibility as recordists is to edit the work so that it represents the event in the best possible light for the client. The only exception for this would, of course, be those under legal / ethical / moral obligations to present the event without bias.
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Jordan is right. With this attitude I doubt you'll be working cheap for long.

This business is telling stories but anyone who thinks that stories have to include everything are naieve.

We include in depth 1-2-1 interviews with the close family and friends. These often elicit tears, especially if family members have recently died. We always ask both the interviewee at the time and the clients afterwards if they want us to edit out the emotion. Almost all want it included. Emotion is an expression of honesty and love but have to be accompanied by sensitivity and discretion.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Do you poke an angry bear?
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey Jim,

I pretty much do what Don said. This past weekend I ran into a similar incident at a wedding. It was actually a very close friend's wedding and she already hired a company to shoot photo/video before i began but she let me shoot for my own portfolio. Long story short, the hired company basiclly outsourced their video to some guys in the area (the night before the event!!!), and then his own photographer didnt show up until 3 hours late for one of the events they were contracted for. We couldn't even get in touch with the person who owns the company and was working with the bride.

When she asked if i got footage which shows her being angry and distraught I told her that it was apparent in some shots, but assured her that I will not be including it in any of the final products (which I wouldn't do anyway). No bride wants to be reminded of that, we are there to capture the happy moments, and make sure they get that feel everytime they see the video.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Hopefully you can post the footage here though so we can have a good laugh?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey, Jim, I personally would never remind the couple that they are being filmed. The last thing I want is for them to be thinking about the cameras rolling.

I did have a couple once where the bride was visibly agitated all day long and let it show. Even during the first dance and cake cutting she was glaring at the groom and telling him what to do and so forth. I just filmed it as it happened and then cut it the best I could later to remove as much of the agitated footage as possible. The last thing I was going to do is remind an agitated bride that she's being filmed.
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #9
Trustee

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have always felt. I just wondered if someone had a day-before 'briefing' or a comment in a written prep sheet or other communication that they give the B&G. I agree the last thing that you want to do is 'live directing' of the proceedings on the day. They're nervous enough already and that would send them over the top.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, I wouldn't remind them either. It appears you just had a small string of bad luck. Just don't use footage that you'd want your mom and dad to see. Make it a fairytale, not a reality show.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #11
Trustee

I once shot a ceremony where 15 minutes before it was supposed to start, the bride calls the groom on his cell phone to find out where he and the best man was because they were supposed to sign their marriage certificate. They were at the mall having a beer! The bride flew into a rage and started screaming at him on the phone. Then the matron of honor talked to the best man (her husband) and started yelling at him too! I caught all of this on video, although I felt very uncomfortable shooting it. I recorded every swear word known to man and then some.
The guys came back quickly and the ceremony started 20 minutes late. During the ceremony, the bride tried to hide her anger. By the time the ceremony was done, she was genuinely happy. After the ceremony, we did some shots by the beach and got some of the most romantic shots ever! They both jumped into the water and splashed around with the sunset behind them. He carried her as he waded knee-deep in the waves and they were laughing hysterically. When the shoot ended, I asked the bride if she wanted that "rage" shot in the final video. She said "sure!" They were able to watch it and laugh about it later, and it was one of the most memorable weddings for me.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques