DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DP Slider (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/483239-dp-slider.html)

Michael Simons August 11th, 2010 02:03 PM

DP Slider

I just received my DP Slider today and it is soooo smooth. Built rugged, yet still light to carry. This is worth the money. I bought the 38 inch.

Kelly Langerak August 12th, 2010 06:27 AM

I just asked if anyone was selling one and got a new looking one for $600.00

It is super smooth and I love it. I'd like to try the Cinevate model to compare, but for the price it will make
my wedding videos that much better.

Kren Barnes August 13th, 2010 09:38 AM

should have gotten this instead of the Glidetrack (we bought one used 3x for $250)..our last wedding i had to stop by a drug store to pick up baby oil to lube it since it was getting stuck everywhere on the rail..not to mention i just lubed it the night before ! :(

KRen
www.verticalvideoworks.ca

Jeff Brewer August 13th, 2010 09:42 AM

Yea, I hope to be able to pick up one of these soon. I am debating on the size I want to get though. I would hate to get one that is too small for longer shots or too large to easily carry around.

Cody Dulock August 13th, 2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kren Barnes (Post 1558771)
should have gotten this instead of the Glidetrack (we bought one used 3x for $250)..our last wedding i had to stop by a drug store to pick up baby oil to lube it since it was getting stuck everywhere on the rail..not to mention i just lubed it the night before ! :(

KRen

You should NEVER oil or lubricate the Igus rail (glidetrack)... at least this is what the manufacturer claims.

Kren Barnes August 13th, 2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Dulock (Post 1558883)
You should NEVER oil or lubricate the Igus rail (glidetrack)... at least this is what the manufacturer claims.

Cody,

Really? i cannot see myself using it without lube..it is really sticky....any advise?

Kren

Cody Dulock August 13th, 2010 07:55 PM

My slider has plastic spacers on the ends to act as stoppers for the carriage. If you loosen up the 4 carriage bolts and lightly hit the carriage against the stoppers on one side it will align your bearings. Now try tightening all four carriage bolts evenly. Each one you tighten you should check the carriage for smoothness. If one becomes stiff,eave it semi tight and tap it against the stoppers. Repeat this until all bearings are aligned. Some times it works better to hit the carriage against the opposite end of the rail... Not sure why, but it works.

It might be a good idea to clean all the lube off first.

Nigel Barker August 14th, 2010 01:34 AM

I get frustrated with the random sticking of our Glidetrack. Sometimes it is as smooth as silk but other times will judder half-way through the move. If it were always at one spot I would suspect a damaged rail or similar. I have resorted to regular applications of WD40 to try & improve matters but now shall give Cody's "Whack the carriage" trick a go.

Andrew Waite August 15th, 2010 09:24 AM

Try a dry lubricant such as graphite powder.... The problem with baby oil or any wet lubricant is dirt sticks to it and it makes it worse.

I had the indislider a while back which also uses plastic bushings... I finally got the cinevate atlas 30 last month and I cannot believe the difference!

Barry Rivadue August 15th, 2010 10:01 AM

I have the DP Slider but, unless I'm exceptionally dense, I'm not having the easiest time setting it up on a light stand or tripod....the DP has I believe a 5/8" opening in the middle and I find most threaded mounts are 3/8," and I can't seem to find the right adapter. What do you DP Slider owners do? Otherwise this slider is a fantastic piece of work--I've been testing it on a tabletop with the HMC150 and it's as smooth as silk.

Again, pardon my ignorance.

Travis Cossel August 15th, 2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Waite (Post 1559273)
Try a dry lubricant such as graphite powder.... The problem with baby oil or any wet lubricant is dirt sticks to it and it makes it worse.

I had the indislider a while back which also uses plastic bushings... I finally got the cinevate atlas 30 last month and I cannot believe the difference!

Another thing you can do is just wipe the track down with a cotton cloth before a shot. This helps quite a bit with sticking, although my Glidetrack seems to be getting stickier over time. I'm likely going to purchase the new Atlas 10 from Cinevate.

Michael Simons August 15th, 2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue (Post 1559285)
I have the DP Slider but, unless I'm exceptionally dense, I'm not having the easiest time setting it up on a light stand or tripod....the DP has I believe a 5/8" opening in the middle and I find most threaded mounts are 3/8," and I can't seem to find the right adapter. What do you DP Slider owners do? Otherwise this slider is a fantastic piece of work--I've been testing it on a tabletop with the HMC150 and it's as smooth as silk.

Again, pardon my ignorance.

The 5/8 opening in the middle works fine with the Manfrotto quick release plate. However, I don't use the middle thread. I have the Manfrotto quick release on one end of the slider to attach to my tripod and I use a light stand at the other end of the slider.

Barry Rivadue August 15th, 2010 05:35 PM

Ah, thanks! Good tip.

Randy Panado August 16th, 2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 1559343)
Another thing you can do is just wipe the track down with a cotton cloth before a shot. This helps quite a bit with sticking, although my Glidetrack seems to be getting stickier over time. I'm likely going to purchase the new Atlas 10 from Cinevate.

Pretty happy with using it this past weekend bro! I suspect my DIY glidetrack will be gathering more dust :).

Asvaldur Kristjansson August 24th, 2010 06:52 PM

Just got my V-960 DPslider today. It isnīt as supersmooth as I expected on low speed. When I move the sled slowly I get this stepping feeling, like 40 step/inch. Do you guys notice this also with yours? I need to test it more in the next days to come.