DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you introduce yourselves to other videographers? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/483402-do-you-introduce-yourselves-other-videographers.html)

Kren Barnes August 15th, 2010 11:11 PM

Do you introduce yourselves to other videographers?

When attending a wedding as a guest, do you pay close attention to what the videographers are doing? Do you approach them, introduce yourself and chit chat about the industry? I cannot recall the last time i went to a wedding as a guest , it felt weird without a camera in my hand :)

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca

Chris Harding August 16th, 2010 01:49 AM

Hi Kren

You have time to go to weddings as a guest????? The only wedding I went to in the family I ended up doing the video!!

If I was a guest I would naturally watch the videographer and probably tell the other guests everything he was doing wrong. Put yourself in the videographer's shoes...if some guest came up to you "claiming" he was a top notch videographer you would probably get annoyed and more than likely not believe him either!!

I think if I WAS a guest I would rather just leave the video guy to do his job and I certainly wouldn't like some guy telling me what to do!! Even if he was the nicest person in the world he still might be offended by even talking shop with another video guy thinking that his style/techniques might be copied????

It's a tough question actually so please tell us if you have been in that situation and what happened ???

Chris

Alec Moreno August 16th, 2010 02:22 AM

I made up mind a while back that I will not talk to the videographer at the next wedding I attend as a guest. I know how precious every minute can be to me when I'm on the job, and I really don't need anyone slowing me down, whether I'm setting up audio, breaking down gear, or standing by trying to anticipate the action. I plan to extend them the same courtesy that I would appreciate in their shoes.

That said, I'm always happy to meet another videographer as long as I truly have a break...which pretty much means only during dinner (if that) on most weddings.

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video

George Kilroy August 16th, 2010 02:36 AM

With you on this Chris, I too dread the video enthusiast at a wedding approaching me when I'm there working to discuss equipment, exchange anecdotes or offer suggestions. There's no way that I'd do it. Also like you I don't often get asked to weddings unless it's to record it. At one time I'd refuse to cover a family wedding (except my own immediate family) but now I'd rather be their working, having observed wedding guests for so long I don't like the thought of being a passive guest; and gives me the perfect excuse for not drinking and becoming that guest who by 9pm thinks the camera is there just to record his witty comments

On the other hand I have made a point of making contact with other videographers in my area. I have made a few good friends that way as well as knowing who I can call on when I need additional hands or kit, or heaven forbid in case of an emergency. Of those I contact some will remain aloof, some will be suspicious but on the whole I think that many are like me and just want to be offering a good service and do a good job, and glad to know who's out there and what they offer. Some never want to have any involvement or think that I may be trying to "learn their secrets" but most of those turn out to be a flash in the pan one year and are never heard of again (in the video sense, not the mafia sense) usually they don't have the temperament, skill or enthusiasm for weddings anyway.

Paul R Johnson August 16th, 2010 02:48 AM

If they are doing something you've not seen before, it's useful to ask them, but maybe not to tell them you also do weddings - conversation as an interested 'amateur' is often appreciated, but as a potential competitor ... ?

It's also your day off. Can you imagine an accountant meeting another one and wanting to talk on their day of about mileage allowances for the self-employed?

Chris Davis August 16th, 2010 09:04 AM

Since I live in a relatively rural area, the odds are good I know the videographer, at least at local weddings. So we usually just acknowledge each other with a wave and a smile. Then I leave him alone to do his work.

Kren Barnes August 16th, 2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1559526)
Hi Kren

You have time to go to weddings as a guest????? The only wedding I went to in the family I ended up doing the video!!

If I was a guest I would naturally watch the videographer and probably tell the other guests everything he was doing wrong. Put yourself in the videographer's shoes...if some guest came up to you "claiming" he was a top notch videographer you would probably get annoyed and more than likely not believe him either!!

I think if I WAS a guest I would rather just leave the video guy to do his job and I certainly wouldn't like some guy telling me what to do!! Even if he was the nicest person in the world he still might be offended by even talking shop with another video guy thinking that his style/techniques might be copied????

It's a tough question actually so please tell us if you have been in that situation and what happened ???

Chris

yeah it was my wife's cousin's wedding, the groom's best man also runs a wedding video outfit so we didn't have to worry about filming it.. I think its quite normal to quietly observe but not intrude...i ran into the videog while waiting for my wife in the lobby and he was also just sitting in a corner with his tripod and cam waiting for people to stop by and record a greeting at the end of the night..(which was very scarce)...i just asked him how its going and if he had a long day and such..we talked briefly for about 5 minutes didn't really introduce myself as a videographer until the end when he asked how i seem to understand some of the things he was talking about... he actually knew who we were so we exchanged cards.

From experience, we've had guests / amateur videogs approach us during our wedding shoots and ask about this and that...we are fine with that as long as we are not in the middle of an important shot...we are glad to share and discuss with others ,whether they are video enthusiasts or "competitors" , their passion for videos..

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca