giant squid lav - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
johannes: sounds a bit trebbleish.... did you put your audio gain on auto? it sounds almost peaking out
In that video I plugged directly to my 7D, can you actually set the audio setting there? I dont have an online video of the ME-15 connected to DS-30, but I think all these times I've been setting it to auto. I need to polish my audio skill I guess.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
In that video I plugged directly to my 7D, can you actually set the audio setting there? I dont have an online video of the ME-15 connected to DS-30, but I think all these times I've been setting it to auto. I need to polish my audio skill I guess.
ah yes... 7d doesn't have manual audio yet. i guess that video of yours doesn't justify the mic's full potential. I think I'll take the plunge... its quiet cheap anyways. 49 bucks in online store
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Major Player

YouTube - Olympus ME-15 Mic Test
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
Hi Chip,

I have seen that one. however, again, its not a professional review. The guy might just set the olympus recorder on auto setting. his voice sound noisy on that clip, which i think is the result of auto level.

thanks anyway :)
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #20
Major Player

Hope you like it mate. I personally think it is better than the giant squid lav though. Let us know how you go!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Santo - I bought a couple of GS omnis with the iriver ifp mono mod about 6 months ago and have nothing but praise for them. I've been using one on the officiant and the other on lecturns etc. for readings.

I'm sure you've noticed that they're not up to sennheinser mic build quality but for the price I've found the results pretty darn good.

My only complaint would be the difficulty in finding a suitably sized windscreen.

If I can find the time I'll post a couple of recent samples.

Cheers,

MB.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barwick View Post
My only complaint would be the difficulty in finding a suitably sized windscreen.....
MB.
I got two Windtech 1100s (white and tan) from B&H, along with 3 Pearstones (black) because they were out of the black 1100s.The guy at the phone order desk said the Pearstones were the same quality etc. The Windtechs are nice, the Pearstones, GARBAGE !!!! So, I guess I have some personal experience now of the value of suggestions from B&H for product selection.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

a sample

Thanks for the suggestion Chip - now to find an aussie stockist :)

Santo - i've uploaded a brief mp3 file from a recent wedding:

www.mattbarwickfilms.com/audio/gs_mic.mp3

this is using the gs mono mic into an iriver recorder. outdoor ceremony and without any sort of windscreen on the mic. i haven't touched the levels either.

it certainly has a slight 'tinny' quality to it but nothing a little eq tweaking couldn't improve and it's far from unusable IMO.

Cheers,

MB
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Check out my side-by-side test of the ATR-35s and Giant Squid Mono in this post http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1559111
Coral Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:11 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Cook View Post
Check out my side-by-side test of the ATR-35s and Giant Squid Mono in this post http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1559111
thanks for that coral

that is so weird.. your giant squid mic sounds better. mine sounds so muffled and soft. yours sound so loud.

inconsistent product? hmmm... i dunno....
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Cook View Post
Thanks Coral, your test matches the one I did and was wondering, because no one else thought so, that maybe I was doing something incorrect. The difference in the way the two sound on yours, is the throatiness I tried to describe in my review. At least now I didn't screw something up. :-)
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Susanto, Chip,

Hope the clip helped. Chip, yeah, the GS does seem to a "throatiness" (low freq boost) to it, which is not in and of itself good or bad, but something to take into consideration when planning your shoot. As I said, I have been using the GS for a couple of months now and am so far very satisfied with the results. More importantly, my clients have been satisfied, and even comment/compliment how loud & clear the sound is during the vows. Hard to beat for a ~$30 investment!
Coral Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #28
AVPA

Santo,

check the settings of your Olympus - maybe they need to be adjusted for the mic also.
We also use the GS with the Iriver and have different settings for groom & priests. Priests/celebrants generally speak louder or I need to clip it higher so it records at a lower volume than for the groom.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #29
Trustee

I have two GS mics that I use with my iRivers all the time. Couldn't be happier with them, and with the customer service I've received. Great product.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques