Terms & Conditions: basic or detailed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 18th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Terms & Conditions: basic or detailed?

Do you keep your Terms & Conditions basic, or try to cover as many of the important aspects (i.e. of what may go right and wrong, decision making, liabilities etc etc) in your document as possible?

You could probably sum things up concisely with a few bullet points covering all parts of the production, but from a legal perspective do you consider it wise to keep the advisories basic (and 'all encompassing') or flesh them out with examples of situations that may arise that are covered in the Terms & Conditions?
Rob Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm based in New Zealand where we don't really have a litigious culture like the USA.... yet.

No public liability insurance, basic half-page contract, commercial music all over the place. Life is good here. ;)
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
I'm based in New Zealand where we don't really have a litigious culture like the USA.... yet.

No public liability insurance, basic half-page contract, commercial music all over the place. Life is good here. ;)
You lucky stiff !!!!! :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Robert, your Terms and Conditions and your Contract (we call ours an Agreement which sounds more informal but is the same thing) need to be able to stand up in court, even if you have no intention of ever going there.

Unless you are legally qualified, I'd strongly recommend you go to a lawyer to have them checked - by all means have a crack at the work yourself because lawyers charge by the minute. And there's no point in having Terms or contract that aren't legally sound.

Last edited by Philip Howells; August 18th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Detailed. I mean, we try to keep it as short as possible, but it's far more important to make sure your business is covered and that everything is clarified for the client. I think our terms & conditions go about 3 pages currently. To be honest, it's as much to protect the client as it is to protect us.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you join the Institute of Videography then you can use one of their standard contracts. Aside from the other benefits of joining the IoV it's probably cheaper than consulting a lawyer. IOV | Institute of Videography
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

quite detailed but as Travis said, it protects the client as much as it does me. I could never think of doing a job without this kind of protection. I personally know 2 people that were sued out of business because they didn't have tight,properly drawn T&Cs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques