Whats the best way to reduce wind in audio? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Hmm.. Chris, do you think we could charge extra for that? Call it the "Clear voice package"?? :)
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #17
Major Player

Highpass filter at around 185 works for me.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #18
Trustee

John, do you mean you roll off everything under 185Hz or are you using some sort of parametric filter centred on 185Hz.

If the latter it would also be useful to know the bandwidth of your filter for anyone to make any use of your suggestion.

If the former it sounds much like what others might call a rumble filter.

But if it works anyone with noise to remove will want to try it.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Philip, the former... just roll off.

It's just a standard filter in Adobe Premiere - there is highpass and lowpass. For rumbles (including wind) I add the highpass filter and choose somewhere between 75-200hz (experiment because it can make the sound a little thin.)

I've found also a good trick for outdoor weddings with high pitch sounds (trees rustling or crickets chirping) - lowpass at about 6000hz - they completely disappear leaving the vocals - amazing!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #20
Trustee

John, so it's a simple roll off. It was the 185Hz that troubled me because it's getting near to the telephone sound - middle A is 330Hz and I think the telephone pass filter is centred about that. Maybe a music backing track - if appropriate - would help fill the sound.

The 6K filter is interesting although at my age it's approaching the limit of audibility. I once facetiously suggested the solution to high pitch interference was older clients!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Borrego View Post
I recently shot a wedding outside and the wind was horrible! I used everything that I had to reduce it at the time but its still pretty bad. I edit with FCP 6 and use Sound Forge. I was curious if anybody knows of any filters in those two applications that I could use to reduce the wind. I was able to bring the vocals up with a Compressor/Limiter filter but thats as far as I got.
12 to 18db per octave roll off at 120 hz is often sufficient.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #22
New Boot

You mean to tell me you didn't have them do the wedding over again? :)
Steve Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #23
Major Player

For my next wedding, I am hiring body doubles for the wide shots then green screening the B&G for the closeups. No sound issues that way.

;)
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #24
Major Player

Ryan --

Outdoor weddings in Wyoming can be such fun.

I had a similar --- maybe worse --- experience with a wedding I shot several years ago on the South Fork of the Shoshone south of Cody. I was able to get the sound usable with Sound Forge 8.

The minister and the couple were so close to the water that they might as well have been standing in the river. Just before the vows, blustery wind began spilling down the canyon right along the river. Flags stood straight out from the poles. The Matron of Honor tried to hold the Bride's veil on her head but had to give up and just take it off. The minister and the couple were getting buffeted in the wind. The minister sort of had his back to the wind and was wearing two lavaliers. My lavalier had a windscreen and gave sort of usable audio except for the times he turned sideways. The one for the p.a. system was hopeless. I had another lavalier on the groom. Sometimes, the Minister stood in a way that somewhat shielded the groom's mike (which fortunately happened during the bride's vows) but sometimes the wind went across the groom's chest and right across the lavalier. Besides me, the minister, the couple and the matron of honor, nobody else heard much of the rest of the ceremony let alone the vows. Does this seem like the kind of stuff you ran into over where you were shooting?

I used both Sound Forge's "noise print" first and the followed with the sub-200hz roll-offs as Claire and John described. It took some fiddling, but those techniques got rid of most of the really bad rumble so the voices could be understood. The audio was still noisy but was in keeping with what was seen in the video (hair and veils being blown in the "breeze", etc.). Considering that the guests who were there had trouble hear anything decipherable, everybody was satisfied with the resulting DVD.

Like Don, I have a contract provision that covers these kinds of issues. While Don uses a separate form for outdoor weddings, I use a standard provision in all of my contracts that basically tells people that we record the wedding that happens and cannot guarantee made-for-tv perfection.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques