No prep coverage or reception only at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

No prep coverage or reception only

It may be my area, but I have seen a recent trend where more brides don't bother with prep coverage. Also, anyone ever done reception only? I'm just curious what others are seeing. I always get concerned that brides will miss out on prep coverage.
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Around here they don't even want a second camera anymore. They want cheap simple ceremony and reception. More than a grand for both and they walk away. From what I understand, it never used to be like this here.

Last edited by Denny Lajeunesse; August 25th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Ha, funny you should mention this Steven. This year I've only done prep a handful of times (money, money, money) and my September 5 wedding went from a full wedding (no prep of course) to reception only. While I like the money, it's not exactly what I like doing. I would rather do a ceremony only but hey, work is work and money is money. It was supposed to be a full wedding then they ran out of money so I figured I work something out with them. Oh well, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Major Player

I honestly could care less about doing the pre ceremony coverage. I did it for almost 20 years and this year it became an option instead. I don't particularly like shooting and editing them and brides frankly don't care. (There are, of course, some exceptions.)

As noted above, most in my area are quite content on having a solid recording (with good audio) of their ceremony with limited coverage of the reception.

I'm quite happy to provide that service with one or two cameras.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

lol. When I asked a bride if they wanted prep they said "What the hell for?" Wen I explained that some brides liked to have the makeup prep inculded etc, she said "Why would I want anyone see that?"

And another bride who replied, "Oh hell no!"

In other words, why the hell would I want to let anyone see me before I look like a queen? Does your girlfriend like you to take photo's of here doing her hair or makeup? Most girls I know would kill you before letting those pics get out. haha I guess it depends on where you live.

Last edited by Denny Lajeunesse; August 25th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hmmm

Ok, thought I was going crazy. I'm happy to provide whatever service they ask for, I just don't want them coming back to me because the missed out on something. The last wedding I did, both bride and groom sent gifts to each other, this was the prep time, so I agree sometimes there's important stuff and sometimes there isn't. Thanks for the feed back, I swear Don, you and I need to do a wedding together. lol.
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd love to, but I think the travel fees might be a deal breaker for the couple ;-)
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Major Player

We insist on at least 2 hours of coverage at the bride's place before she leaves for church and 1 hour at the groom's place.

We believe that we cannot tell a complete story without those coverage because we need the introduction and the building up before we go to the climacs of the story. Hence our packages start from 10 hours.

I'm shocked to hear so many brides don't bother about their make-up coverage. did you guys show them any sample of why it is an important part of the day to be filmed?
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Years ago I would spend far more time "selling" my packages. Today to be totally honest I give them what they want and what they have the budget for. After 27 years and about 1900 weddings, at my age I just don't have it in me to insist about anything with prospective clients. They see my work and they either want it or they don't. If they want prep, great, if not, that's fine as well. I'm not looking to make an award winning video. I give them solid coverage with really good audio and honestly, in my market, that's what the majority of brides I come into contact want and can afford.
Now having said that, I've done some very high end weddings where prep starts at the beauty shop very very early in the day, while I have another person covering the guys also starting quite early but frankly my bread and butter is the standard doco and that's fine by me with or without prep.
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
After 27 years and about 1900 weddings, at my age I just don't have it in me to insist about anything with prospective clients.
1900 weddings in 27 years... thats an average of about 70 weddings per year and I know that you must have done most of them on your own.... WOW don... you must get the all time achievement award from weva! well done. This is my 2nd year in business and I'm starting to get overwhelmed by doing around 45 weddings in a year.. I guess I have to stop complaining now... :P
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
We insist on at least 2 hours of coverage at the bride's place before she leaves for church and 1 hour at the groom's place.

We believe that we cannot tell a complete story without those coverage because we need the introduction and the building up before we go to the climacs of the story. Hence our packages start from 10 hours.

I'm shocked to hear so many brides don't bother about their make-up coverage. did you guys show them any sample of why it is an important part of the day to be filmed?
Here's where I have my 'area/culture' question. I would say about half of our brides want prep coverage, but I'm wondering if the economy is making a change in things. For instance, in my area there are 9 photographers for every video, and according to what photographers tell me, up north its different, every wedding has a videographer. But in my area, it's the opposite. Crazy culture, without videography, you just don't remember things.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Susanto,
I might be off by a few but I've had years way back when I did 30 and other years when I did 80. 2 or 3 a weekend for months on end, of course I was a lot younger then and the money....well I was going to say the money wasn't as good then but honestly it hasn't gone up proportionately. I have really cut my schedule over the last couple of years and am trying to cut it back for next year as well but I still have bills to pay so maybe I'll go for 2000. ;-O
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Trustee

Like most posters we leave the choice of prep to the clients though we do point out that it';s the only part of the day when the couple won't know what the other was thinking doing, what emotions were running wild etc. Most still choose it but then our style is very much interviews.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Major Player

@ Steven:

That doesn't seem to be a big problem in San Francisco. I have had some brides that don't want it but that doesn't make my package any cheaper. I offer "up to 10 hours" of coverage. If they want the full 10 then they get it, but if they want only 5 hours then they pay the full 10. I do this cause I usually only get weddings on Saturday, I won't book a wedding at half the price on Saturday when I know another bride will want to pay the full price.

Prep is boring for me, but they seem to really like it in the end. You have to convince them otherwise. I convince my clients that they are in one room with all their best friends for one day. DON'T YOU WANT IT DOCUMENTED??

You don't have to start with them putting on make-up. Tell them you want to start w/ putting on the dress.

Your not only a filmmaker, you are a sells man.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
DON'T YOU WANT IT DOCUMENTED??

You don't have to start with them putting on make-up. Tell them you want to start w/ putting on the dress.
If they opt out of the prep, do you offer the other 5 hours for the taking OFF of the dress? Boom shacka shacka Boom Boom. :D
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques