Meals at wedding, do you get fed? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #61
Regular Crew

You have the right to set your own terms. I keep water and sandwiches in the car, but a cooked meal and drink might be the way to go.
Charlie Wiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #62
Major Player

What a difference a day makes. After Friday's wedding when everyone but me had food provided, Saturday's could not have been more different. It was a similar reception, marquee in the grounds of a listed country house. I was told as soon as I arrived that the farmhouse kitchen was at my disposal. I could leave kit there and use the power, toilets, even shower if I wanted to. A girl who usually worked the teashop made food and would have made endless cups of teas if I'd wanted. There was even wine and champagne (though I never drink at weddings). This was laid on for the "workers" photographer, chauffeur, DJ, band etc. The best man even came over at regular intervals to check if we were okay. The speeches were before they sat down so it was a real luxury to be able to relax until the after the meal and the band had set up.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Working in this environment means that we work up against deadlines and often great pressures. We're much different then painters. We're filming the beginning of their new lives together. We just can't take breaks every 2 hrs or whenever we feel like it, impossible. We also can't leave for an hour lunch. We have to be alert and with our equipment all day.

Yet we're easy to forget because we're just 'one day'. But in reality our 'one day' comes 3/4 times a week (including corporate work). I definitely require to be feed. My worst work comes on an empty/tired stomach.

I also do a lot of union work and we have meal penalties after 5 to 6 hours. It is absolutely AMAZING how when it cost them just a little bit more money in penalty they can find a way to feed us.

With bride/groom, they have a lot going on and it's an honest mistake not to think not to feed us. Once done explaining the full day we incur, there's always a meal waiting.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Being fed

In my contract I ask if we will be fed and if there will be a place for us to sit - so far every one has said yes and at the event I am always reminded to eat - sometimes there is too much going on for me to remember to take a break.

I usually bring a few energy bars or whatever and get something from the bar to keep me going just in case I forget.

I believe it is not the client's obligation to feed me, but I appreciate it nonetheless. I would also think that as a professional you are responsible enough to ensure that you take care to provide yourself with enough energy to complete the day.

My 2 cents.
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #65
Major Player

Re: Meals at wedding, do you get fed?

Just wondering if someone could post the exact language in your contract about meals. I have wanted to put something in mine, but did not want to risk being to forward and putting them off.

Thanks
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
Just wondering if someone could post the exact language in your contract about meals. I have wanted to put something in mine, but did not want to risk being to forward and putting them off.

Thanks
"We asked that you provide a courtesy vendor meal for the videographer/photographer (s)."

Never had any push back from the client about it.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:28 PM   #67
Major Player

We don't have it in our "terms and conditions" per se, but rather just a quick question under their package selection...

"Will a meal be provided for us? Yes or No (You are not obligated to provide us with a meal, but we would just like to know in advance so that we can make necessary arrangements)"

Only once did we have someone say no, simply because she booked us THE week of the wedding last minute and already had numbers into caterers and didn't know how they would handle it...it wasn't a big deal, we just stashed some snacks with us to eat throughout the day.
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Hey Katie

Yours is probably the politest way to go too!! It's not the end of the world if you don't get fed...I think once I had a big MAC after the wedding as they forgot to cater for me.

It's not in my contract but it is on my website and here, we find that even if the bride has omitted you (accidentally or on purpose) a nice word in the venue staff's ear usually produces a plate of something!!!

I don't think it's worth making a big fuss over!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques