Odd question... what is your work vehicle? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #16
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I guess I don't see why it matters what you drive, as long as it holds all your gear and is reliable. 99% of my customers never see my vehicle, and I'm not in the car selling business anyway! I don't mean to offend anyone, I just don't get it!
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holland View Post
I guess I don't see why it matters what you drive, as long as it holds all your gear and is reliable. 99% of my customers never see my vehicle, and I'm not in the car selling business anyway! I don't mean to offend anyone, I just don't get it!
As long as they really don't see your vehicle, it doesn't matter. However, the image you present absolutely does matter. Pull up to the front of the church in a POS rust bucket belching oil with all the guests around and I guarantee you that you word-of-mouth bookings will go down.

If I had to drive something like that (at times in my life, I have had to drive a car like that) I would make sure I parked around the corner and down the block.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #18
Major Player

I drive a Landrover Discovery but it doesn't matter what you drive as long as its not plastered in mud and full of dents.

The Disco has plenty of room in the boot to stick all my gear and I have the business name on the rear wheel cover ( which has picked up quite a few bookings over the years) and magnetic signs on the side which I leave on most of the time.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I agree with previous statements that it doesn't matter what you drive as long as it is clean and presentable.
I drive an '03 Honda Element that has my logo on the side windows. I also have a 91 suburban that I use to haul my DJ gear and tow my trailer. It has a fresh paint job and runs well but is definitely an older body style. I really don't think anyone pays attention to what I'm pulling up in though.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #20
Major Player

I drive a mustang gt, but I do plan on getting an audi q5 by next summer.. better for holding equipment and such.
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Keep in mind that a Land Rover Discovery says something different to customers in the UK than it does in the USA...

I use a Ford minivan...take out the third seat...lots of cargo space...

HOWEVER...

I see a lot of people driving smaller vehicles on this and other threads, and keep in mind that if you haul as many lights and grip items as I do for a single camera setup, you accumulate some weight.

Just because there is space in some of these vehicles doesn't mean the suspension is designed for whatever number of C Stands, sandbags and HMI ballasts you can shoe-horn into it. I've had days when my rear suspension has hit the stops because the suspension is simply out of travel... It's not the end of the world on occasion, but if I was running that heavy every day, I would surely break the suspension, which on a minivan is really not any more robust than a midsize car.

I know that I'll have to start looking soon and I'll probably have to go heavier...a half ton van like an earlier poster mentions is probably likely.

ONE THING I would mention... I recently got a RockNRoller R12 cart... I've been schlepping with all sorts of different case/cart arrangements for 20 years...and a full-on four-wheel Magliner with the all terrain steering casters and a table top like i work with off most grip trucks would be nice, but not practical (or even possible ) with my minivan.... That little cart seems pretty handy for the price.

...just a random added thought.
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post
Keep in mind that a Land Rover Discovery says something different to customers in the UK than it does in the USA...

Hi Tim, I am completely intriged. What do you mean? A Discovery over here is just a bog standard working car and where I live in the countryside I see virtually dozens of them every day when out and about.

What is different abut it over there?
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
(snipped) I have the business name on the rear wheel cover ( which has picked up quite a few bookings over the years) and magnetic signs on the side which I leave on most of the time.
Steve raises a most important element - using all your gear but especially your transportation as a marketing device. We have the rear side and rear windscreen tinted (OK to see through even in the evening) and the logo, name and contact across the rear screen. My wife has an online lingerie business and uses her car to advertise that.

The UK is rapidly becoming one big parking lot so you might just a well give those around you something useful to look at. We also have fleeces with just the logo on for loading and unloading and at wedding fairs etc. Unless people have time to read and possibly note, there's little point in having the telephone number or domain name in my view but the familiarity with logos does build.

Incidentally I also think that knowing I'm advertising my business tends to make me less liable to respond to idiot drivers.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brewer View Post
Infiniti G35...hehe. Awful mileage and hardly any space, but dammit it's sexy.
I'm with you Jeff. SL500. Fast engine (no Limo can outrun me). Equipment fits in the trunk and the car is also damn sexy. People remember me from this car and you want people to remember you..in a good way of course.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Hi Tim, I am completely intriged. What do you mean? A Discovery over here is just a bog standard working car and where I live in the countryside I see virtually dozens of them every day when out and about.

What is different abut it over there?
In the USA a Land Rover vehicle is a premium priced, high cost of upkeep vehicle.

My point was that it could be a workhorse AND an image boost in the colonies... :-)

...but really, really expensive to maintain.
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post
In the USA a Land Rover vehicle is a premium priced, high cost of upkeep vehicle.

My point was that it could be a workhorse AND an image boost in the colonies... :-)

...but really, really expensive to maintain.
A Discovery certainly doesn't turn heads over here. Bloody heavy lump though handy if I have a wedding up a mountain track and need to cross a couple of raging torrents ( not that there's any mountains here or weddings up them!)

I have it because I own a twin axle caravan and take it off on holiday to the south of France when I can.

Personally, make sure there's advertising on your car. If you are caught in a traffic jam someone near you might just make a note of your details. Free advertising!
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques