Stillmotion China? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 8th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Trustee

Stillmotion China?

http://www.morning2159.com/

I came across their website and it looks really familar somehow.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Sean

My software MalwareBytes immediately blocks that site from my computer... it might have a few nasties attached to it. I don't/can't visit sites that are blocked by the software which was installed after getting a real nasty bit of software that shut everything down and wanted you to buy their anti-spyware package last year!!

Just thought I would let you know!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

For those who don't want to click that link,
here's what it looks like compared to Still
Motion.

Patrick hasn't posted here in a few weeks,
but I hope he takes notice of this. Unless
that site is partnering directly with him, it
sure looks like a clear-cut case of IP theft.
Attached Thumbnails
Stillmotion China?-stillmotion1.jpg   Stillmotion China?-stillmorning1.jpg  

Stillmotion China?-stillmotion2.jpg   Stillmotion China?-stillmorning2.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Oche thanks for telling me! Will stay away..
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Major Player

my stomach hurts to see this kind of thing... it has happened to us before as well where someone copied our work from the story to the songs.... but I dont get it with this guy... why the website?? isn't it TOO obvious...?
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Looking at some of their videos, I'm slightly relieved to see that they did not copy the videos too! I think the web designer have stolen the whole web design off StillMotion's.. maybe he/she just didnt know how to design a website!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It's a CHINESE website... what do you expect? Counterfeiting, cheap knockoffs, fake junk, IP theft... all standard operating procedure over there, and anywhere they can "export" it to...

I wish "imitation was the sincerest form of flattery", but with the advent of the internet, it's just "theft" by people too lazy and uninspired to create their own image, and it's so easy to just use someone else's...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Such is the way of the world. The internet has made integrity and originality redundant.
Setting up a business? just Google the industry, see what others are doing and charging, steal a web template and voala, you're in business.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
It's a CHINESE website... what do you expect? Counterfeiting, cheap knockoffs, fake junk, IP theft... all standard operating procedure over there, and anywhere they can "export" it to...
Whilst endorsing wholeheartedly the spirit and disdain Dave expresses (and who wouldn't) I just looked at the plates on most of my gear. They say Made in China.

Joking aside, in an earlier age exactly the same happened in Japan. For years no-one could enforce a patent in Japan and exporters of high technology equipment feared a sample getting to Japan. Happily it seems that in the end these cultures see the folly of their ways and realise how much greater the profit in doing the job correctly - and legally.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Trustee

Sad to say i have seen something similar in Singapore too. The website shows traces of stillmotion with some changes.. however not all China videographers are like that. There are a lot creative people there too.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Philip -

Pretty hard NOT to find stuff MIC nowadays, and some of it is actually well made and quality, the problem is that China is also the source of lots of less than reputable goods and such...

You are very much correct, I remember having a customer bring in one of the Ibanez Les Paul copies from the early days of that (Japanese) company - it was the one Gibson sued over... it was actually far superior to many of the original Gibsons that were contemporary, and an exquisite instrument in it's own right... Point being skill and talent aren't limited by geography.

The typical cycle goes someting like - study, learn, copy/imitate, innovate. When China hits that last stage, it's going to be REALLY interesting. It's bad enough competing with "copies", when they innovate to where "the student surpasses the teacher", we could see a shift...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm sure StillMotion isn't worried..it's their art and not their website that makes them so good. The people who stole SM's website can't duplicate Patrick & Co. work.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Wrangler

Wow- that's pretty bold of them. The most concerning thing is I don't know how easy it will be to get them to take it down/change it. China is indeed known for this kind of stuff- the government doesn't even enforce the laws the same way. Best of luck to Patrick and crew on getting this sorted out.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Major Player

well a few days ago I thought patrick should know about this so I sent him an e-mail and provided him with a link. he said they were going to contact them but they actually thought it was pretty funny, he also said that they are working on building a new website and are going to offer to the Chinese company an offer to buy the site from them.
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
he also said that they are working on building a new website and are going to offer to the Chinese company an offer to buy the site from them.
I don't think the chinese company would spent a cent to buy the site legitimately...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques