Audio help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio help

Hey Everybody, up until this point in time I have been using a H4N and My Camera as the only audio imports for all my weddings ( Lav on the H4N, Boom & 2nd lav on Camera) Im really looking to buy another Lav mic possibly two, and run most of my audio through a mixer, hooked up to my H4N. Is this possible? If so, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance
Stephen Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Major Player

You can get any mixer that has XLR outs and plug it into your H4n. The only issue you will have is that if one of your wireless mics takes an interference hit, all the audio will be ruined. A mixer can usually only mix in stereo, so you will have two outputs. With two inputs on the H4n, one mic on one channel and one on the other will isolate them from each other. Once you are mixing all the mics in mono or stereo, ome mics need to be on the same channel. Also unless you have someone running the mixer, one audio source may be louder and overpower the others. I assume by boom you mean a shotgun mic on one of your cameras, I've never seen a boom mic at a wedding. Otherwise your boom op could do double duty mixing as well.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

sometimes i like to throw a boom mic above the dance floor to get some different sounds, but yes, I did mean a shotgun microphone that sits on my HM700. I understand that I will need someone that will be working the mixer, but im still looking for a link or a recommendation for a nice mixer to use in the situation.
Stephen Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Major Player

I use a Rolls MX422. Not the best mixer, but you can find it for a good price. Others swear by the Sound Devices 422, but it will cost you quite a bit more. Also look at the PSC DV Promix 3 or 6.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i really appreciate your help, thank you Eric.
The Rolls Mx22 looks perfect, I will have to stop by B&H to get a hands on look at it. I see that you live in PA, do you know of any in state stores that carry such equipment? I have relied on B&H for years without ever looking into anything more local
Stephen Dougherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques