Using Logo on For Hire Jobs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Logo on For Hire Jobs

I've noticed that a lot of you have your logo (or 3d logos that move across the screen) on your highlight clips so do you include this in the final work you do for clients?

I'm guessing the answer is going to be it's one of those things that you put in your contract and clear with them first. Have you had any clients that DON'T want it?

I'm thinking of a grumpy uncle I have who would refuse to let car dealerships put their log on his car.

Dan
Dan Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I do not.
The only reason why I would put a watermark on my video would to deter future pirating or for marketing purposes, both of which does not need to happen on the final dvd given to the B&G. If someone wants to know who did the video, I'm assuming they would turn around and ask the Bride who filmed it.

Now, to watermark a public montage on say, vimeo, that would be a different story.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Dan, because of the serious copyright issues involved with putting material containing commercial music (cleared for the client's private use but not for broadcast) we don't put our programmes on the Internet. However, occasionally a band or entertainer at a wedding will ask if they can have some or all of their act on video to help them promote themselves. Our quid pro quo is a share of the identity. This is how we achieve it.

First, obviously is the bride and groom's written permission. Second, the entertainer must sign a contract a) agreeing to the limits of the use of the material eg Internet, promotional DVDs etc, b) for how long eg five years, you don't want to saddle your heirs with eternal contracts, c) agreeing not to change, edit, or display the material in any way except as we supply it ie not cutting off or obscuring our ident and, most importantly, indemnifying us against any action by any rights holders for recording and distributing their work. This is important - UK readers will know of a recent instance when a a winner on one of Simon Cowell's TV shows was actually prevented from performing "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed. The contract is signed by each member of the band because the contract is between them "severally and jointly" which means each is personally responsible as well as as a band.

We then place a 5% banner across the full width of the bottom title safe line stating "Video by www.PHPweddings.co.uk"

If they won't sign the contract we don't release the material, it's as simple as that.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques