Promo Materials at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Promo Materials

Of course we are videographers and our work is best represented through video, but recently I have been asked by a photographer friend if I had any brochures or marketing materials for my business. I hesitantly told him I didn't, but rather had a DVD and business cards.

It got me wondering if I needed some sort of brochure that I can use to hand out to other vendors or potential clients. Do any of you create brochures or other promotional materials? What are they and what is included with them? Thanks.
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

Not me!! I have a business card so they can look on the website and always carry a bunch of sample DVD's with me which go hand in hand with the card!! I really don't think that a "brochure" glossy or otherwise will impress as much as a DVD....but if you really want a brochure why not do a "video brochure" that preceeds the sample videos and menu on a DVD??? That way you can have a 1 minute brochure that the bride sees together with narration and music and maybe even a little intro by yourself and you can then convince the bride that booking you will be the best thing she has ever done... one the brochure has run it's course she would be presented with a DVD menu and your samples.

Cost you a whole lot less than printing glossy brochures and in my opinion a lot more convincing too!!

Hmmm I might just try it myself on my DVD's!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff I am inclined to look at how I deal with brochures I get or have gotten in other areas of my life, and use that as the typical response to them....... not much at all. If you would be at a bridal show and passing them out, I think you can expect fewer than 10% are ever read, probably closer to 3-5%. As far as handing one to another vendor, your business card is going to work just as well and have just as much time spent examining it too.

Of all the businesses I have worked with for my day job, only one stands out as having given me anything related to "promotional materials" that I regularly have kept and used regularly. What they spent on each of their "promotional materials" was also somewhere between 4 and 10 times what the others I have dealt with, spent on theirs too. In the long run, the guy who spent the most, got the most bang for his buck. The others, their stuff went to my kids, friends or a client if they wanted it.

If you are hellbent on "promotional materials" get creative, think of something you want to hand out, that others would want to receive. Put your name on it, or web address, so the people associate you with it. Don't be afraid to spend a bit on each, but I also wouldn't go passing them out to any warm body that stumbles along either. If I were to make a suggestion that would fit this with me as the recipient, I would say...... think CHOCOLATE !!!! :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Jeff I guess we represent the other side of the coin. We produce a four-side A5 brochure, and package that with our demo DVD in a silver foil envelope along with a 2-side A4 value comparison chart which enables, even encourages, clients to compare our value with others'.

We also publish via website downloads, five or six more "brochure" pages which people can print or read as they wish.

For wedding Fairs we have two different HD promo programmes running on two 22" monitors mounted on a single chrome pole stand, two 6ft tall roller banners and a couple more A4 stands carrying flavour of the month messages. These surround the table on which are piles of our demo packs so people can help themselves at peak times when there's no time to talk. Incidentally, since the men in our team wear Morning Dress if the clients are, we also wear it at wedding fairs. It's all a matter of memorability.

Like Chris we let our demo disk and brochures do the talking for us - our basic objective at shows is to get the demo packs into as many relevant hands as possible - if there's time to chat it's a bonus. By relevant I mean people who are interested in having a video - we don't bother trying to convert those who don't.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks for the replies. I sat down and tried to think of what I would include in a brochure and it basically ended up being my website on paper. I don't think that is the route that I am wanting to go, but rather think of something unique or creative to pass out. I'll let you guys know when inspiration sparks, but I definitely have been considering making a narrative intro that is a selling tool in itself.
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Trustee

Jeff, I think you're probably right but is that wrong? There are many times when a website isn't the ideal format for people to refer to your information. In cases like that eg fior filing in her wedding file, a brochure is more applicable even though it's a repeat or summary of your website.

My guess is that your brochure will be, like ours, less full and complete than your website but that's OK. If you follow our example and make the special topics readable or downloadable the interested client can choose how they view it.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hmm, that is a good point there Philip. I often forget that I am overly technically savvy, so I constantly visit websites as a first method for resources. However, some brides and most parents would rather be able to sort through hardcopy material and make decisions based on those. Its one of those situations where I have to try and put myself in everyone else's shoes and then make the call. Thanks.
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Major Player

I think having well presented printed material goes some way to reassuring people that you are established and in for the long run, not someone who might disappear before their wedding day. A website can easily be taken down or a cell phone number dropped but printed material with a solid address and permanent land-line does give confidence to couples making a commitment, sometimes two years ahead of their wedding. In their minds you don't spend money on printing if you're not serious about your commitment to your business.

Not every couple is at the point of booking when they first make contact. If they are making a short list of potential services it's quite possible to forget who they have spoken with, or who told them what. A brochure is something they will put in their wedding planning folder.

I've always used a brochure which says more or less the same as my website and what I tell them on the phone, They then have everything they need to make their decision. I also leave them at venues and photo studios, bridal shops etc. Most seem happy the leave them on their counter.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques