My first SDE project coming up this Sunday! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Major Player

My first SDE project coming up this Sunday!

It's coming up in a week and I'm getting a bit nervous now.. The B&G is a good friend of mine and I told them I want to try an SDE but can't promise anything.. but I really do want to make it!!

Here's my checklist to bring, other than the essential camera gears;
- 2 x MBP (one for editing, an extra to help for conversion just in case!)
- 2 x External HDD (160GB & 750GB)
- UDMA card reader
- a can of redbull & pack of chewing gum
- a blank DVD just in case
- miniDisplay port converter + VGA adapter
- 3mm audio cable + 3m extension cord

We have two shooters and one assistant.. our plan is to:
- chose the song & set some markers in FCP to guide me
- shoot B&G at their places, copy to MBP and convert to external HDD as much as we can during prep
- arrive at ceremony @2pm, one assistant continue to convert
- after ceremony, assistant convert only the vows/walking down the isle/kiss while shooters capture extra footages with the B&G
- arrive at reception @5pm, setup table, convert quickly the extra footages then start editing for 10pm (latest) showtime!
- only if possible, I'll try to fit in the grant entrance of the B&G.. Hopefully the first dance too.....

I've been reading many tips in the forums.. but if you have any other good tips you can add to this it would be greatly appreciated! I've timed myself during editing at home.. so that's the only experience I've had!

Wish me luck :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Major Player

- try to convert to the internal hard disk on mbp if possible cause external hdd is just going to slow u down and its cumbersome. if its not enough space, copy the raw files, convert, then delete the converted raw files to allow for extra space for the next batch of raw files if you know what i mean.

- never delete files from card until u back up later at home. make sure u tell ur assistant that !

- tell ur assistant to keep checking the converted files every hour or so. i have got a case where I arrived in the reception and one card was converted wrongly.

- if ur assistant can rough cut for you before u get to the reception place, it would be very helpful. i have never tried this but thinking of doing it next time.

- eat in the car going to the reception cause you won't be eating dinner

all the best mate
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Santo!

How much space do you usually allow in your MBP? I've just cleared 300GB last night.. is that enough? I have heard of people getting their MBP too slow because they keep too much files in their drive!

Ok, I'll remind and keep checking on my assisstant on the day. Maybe a good idea to put a sticky note on the MBP next to the trackpad.. just to keep him reminded of the essentials!

and thanks for the dinner tips, I'll pack some mars bars to keep the sugar level high! :)
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Thanks Santo!

How much space do you usually allow in your MBP? I've just cleared 300GB last night.. is that enough? I have heard of people getting their MBP too slow because they keep too much files in their drive!

Ok, I'll remind and keep checking on my assisstant on the day. Maybe a good idea to put a sticky note on the MBP next to the trackpad.. just to keep him reminded of the essentials!

and thanks for the dinner tips, I'll pack some mars bars to keep the sugar level high! :)
300gb will be enough. i usually get 250gb free and never deleted the raw files from the hdd.

one thing to buy is a cigarette lighter car adapter to charge your laptop while on the go. save you a lot of stress of running out of power. We forgot to bring it last weekend to brisbane and had to charge the laptop on a nearby cafe while we're shooting location shoot :P
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
one thing to buy is a cigarette lighter car adapter to charge your laptop while on the go..
Thats a good point, I never thought of that! I better look into it then heheh.. Thanks mate!
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
- a blank DVD just in case
My only recommendation is to take a few a few blank DVDs. If for some reason you -do- have to go to DVD, there is always the risk that one turns out to be a toaster.

Other than that, I could give you advice, but it's all probably standard stuff that you have already read.

Best of luck with the same day edit. There's nothing I love more int his business than showing a same day edit.
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
My only recommendation is to take a few a few blank DVDs. If for some reason you -do- have to go to DVD, there is always the risk that one turns out to be a toaster.

Other than that, I could give you advice, but it's all probably standard stuff that you have already read.

Best of luck with the same day edit. There's nothing I love more int his business than showing a same day edit.
Thanks Matt. Yes, what I meant was few blank DVDs, but lets hope I dont have to go down that path of rendering and burning.

I am excited to see the reactions in an SDE. I have never been to a wedding where an SDE is shown.. so this would be my first time making as well as witnessing! Would be the greatest milestone I will achieve so far if I can make it. :)
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Major Player

I guess my only advise would be - make sure you film the B&G and guests' reactions... It would look nice along PIP clip of the SDE video on the final DVD.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM   #9
Trustee

all the best buddy. Would suggest you visualise some shots that you need before hand and do it (eg the opening sequence). That would help a lot in reducing the clips picking time.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
I guess my only advise would be - make sure you film the B&G and guests' reactions... It would look nice along PIP clip of the SDE video on the final DVD.
Thanks Lukas! I honestly almost forgot about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
all the best buddy. Would suggest you visualise some shots that you need before hand and do it (eg the opening sequence). That would help a lot in reducing the clips picking time.
Thanks mate, I'd have to do some of it on the run. Although I have pretty much an idea of what scenes I want to fit in parts of the songs, but when it comes to editing the real clips, it's not as easy! Just hope I can think clear and in control on the day!
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
- UDMA card reader
If time is of the essence then make sure that you have the Firewire 800 version which is much faster than any reader connected by USB2 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/492648-REG/Lexar_RW034_001_Professional_UDMA_FireWire_800.html
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques