What Kind of Monopod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Kind of Monopod

I'm looking to pick up a monopod, any suggestions? I'll be using a GL2 with it.

I'm looking at this one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Try A Search

I would try a search for "monopod" within the wedding section. It has been discussed, and people have recommended certain models.

Here is a more recent thread where monopods were discussed...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=monopod
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think I've actually seen that setup at one of my Wolf Camera/Ritz stores here in Colorado. In all honesty - I didn't consider the model because of the very tiny legs that purport to make the monopod into a tripod. Especially when the rated weight of the monopod you're looking at is just over 5lbs -- you're not going to be able to use that very well (I wouldn't think) since your camera is probably close to 5 lbs as it is.

My recommendation - is to get a nice tripod and a dedicated monopod that doesn't have the little legs that come out. I have a Manfroto monopod and I love it!

Regards,
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the Manfrotto 558B which comes with the 501PL quick release plate which works with the 501 & 503 head, so switching from Monopod to tripod is a breeze. No tilt option, but for me it works great.
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Get the one with the legs.

1. It is not a tripod, but you can stand on the legs to make the thing VERY steady for a quick shot.

2. When retracted, the legs give some extra weight to the base, and make it moderately usable as a stabilizer device (with practice).

3. With the monopod extended and the legs out, you can hoist the whole hting up and brace two legs against your stomach. It s a quickie crane.

4. With the legs out, you can use it as a quickie mic stand if you need it, especially handy with an iRiver.

It just occurred to me that I need to look for a clamp and try it out as a popup reflector or background stand.

I don't like the fact that the swivel head uses a different QR than my tripod. I may buy a 501 head for mine just so I can have QR compatibility AND tilt..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques