OT - Overly Picky brides ugggg - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2005, 07:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Evan
Then you should of set your prices at $400 to begin with. Basically when you gave her a 50% off deal you're sending the customer a lot of mixed messages. She's probably thinking "this guy doesn't value his services highly", "this guy is a push over", "this guy is just starting out and he'll do whatever I ask of him".

We all start out low and make mistakes but just learn from them.
I never told her my $800 price. I just told her the reason it was $400 is my lack of wedding experience, which I think they should know. Now since I have some weddings under my belt, my future clients don't need to know it.

And believe me, I'm not staying low for long. If I can get enough clients booked for next year, I'm going to do this full time.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:23 PM   #17
Major Player

The real issue is what your goal is. Your goal is to make money. To do this you need to have lots of business. To get that, you need referrals. To get those, you need to make the client happy.

In the end, that means that you're not in the right just because your contract proves you are. The true right thing to do is to go out of your way to make the bride (or whoever) happy, within reason of course. If she's happy with the final product, she'll refer you to other people.

We were really pleased with our wedding videographer and have referred one couple in our family and four more of our friends to him. Why? Not because we are trying to keep him in business. We did it because we want our friends to have just as easy an experience and just as great of a video as we got.

Whether she's right or wrong for thinking this way, if the bride comes away with feeling like you were kind of hard to work with - even if you weren't! - then you lose. Meaning, you lose that income you'd have received from her referrals.

It sucks, and it's not fair, but that's life. Just suck it up when you have to, and console yourself with knowing you are building your rep as a cool, easy-to-work-with person who people would be glad to go to again.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Ken,

My first wedding was $250, so $400 isnt a bad start. Marketing is key when setting prices, so as your work gets better dont hesitate to let people know in a way they can understand.

I know a photographer that charges thousands for one enlargement printed on canvas. He calls it "fine art". A marketing genius if you ask me.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
I know a photographer that charges thousands for one enlargement printed on canvas. He calls it "fine art". A marketing genius if you ask me.
No kidding, since it only costs about $200 to get a print on canvas...

I'm just starting with wedding video as well. I did my first wedding at no charge last weekend for the daughter of some good friends. They will probably pay me anyway, but I set no price.

My plan is to do at least two more weddings at no charge for willing acquaintances, then I'll probably charge $1500-$2000 once I have some references and demo material.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM   #20
Capt. Quirk

"No kidding, since it only costs about $200 to get a print on canvas..."

I feel the same way about Lawyers and Doctors. However, in this case, the cost of the plotter to print the canvas is very pricey. I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't use those cheapie ink cartridges you find at WallyMart.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
The real issue is what your goal is. Your goal is to make money. To do this you need to have lots of business. To get that, you need referrals. To get those, you need to make the client happy.

In the end, that means that you're not in the right just because your contract proves you are. The true right thing to do is to go out of your way to make the bride (or whoever) happy, within reason of course. If she's happy with the final product, she'll refer you to other people.

We were really pleased with our wedding videographer and have referred one couple in our family and four more of our friends to him. Why? Not because we are trying to keep him in business. We did it because we want our friends to have just as easy an experience and just as great of a video as we got.

Whether she's right or wrong for thinking this way, if the bride comes away with feeling like you were kind of hard to work with - even if you weren't! - then you lose. Meaning, you lose that income you'd have received from her referrals.

It sucks, and it's not fair, but that's life. Just suck it up when you have to, and console yourself with knowing you are building your rep as a cool, easy-to-work-with person who people would be glad to go to again.
Yea, but there's a line when you start to take advantage of someone. In her meeting, we explained to her what was included in the package, how long the final video would be ect.

She just called again today and told my wife she wants the way her pictures in her picture montage dissolve changed to flying in, spinning in ect. Now of course, this is after I redid it with her emailing me saturday saying she wants more of her pictures added. That of course is after we met up with her on Friday. She's promised a tip when I deliver the final video, I just hope it's a generous one.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
"No kidding, since it only costs about $200 to get a print on canvas..."

I feel the same way about Lawyers and Doctors. However, in this case, the cost of the plotter to print the canvas is very pricey. I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't use those cheapie ink cartridges you find at WallyMart.
I'm talking about canvas printing services. $200 will get you a very high quality 20x30 canvas print stretched on a wood frame.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM   #23
Major Player

http://incognitoportraitdesign.com/index2.html

John
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM   #24
Major Player

My bad, the home page is below. Some of his work is good. Some not so good. Its all in the marketing.

http://incognitoportraitdesign.com/index.html
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Ken. You are being taken advantage of at this point! This change this and that, where does it end with her? The best thing about charging by the hour in post is that the client knows that extra time costs more and will think twice before doing all of these "little" changes unless they know what they want and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get it done. I'll make as many changes as desired as long as I'm getting paid for the time. I guess the only thing she hasn't said to you is "it wouldn't be to much trouble to....would it?" or my favorite "how hard could it be?".
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:39 PM   #26
Major Player

Dan Minor, I like your confidence.

Confidence=Success :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:46 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Yep. That's true. When I first started out, I used to almost feel obligated to justify my rates or the reason for the need for certain pieces of gear but I too have found that if you tactfully act as though you have done this a million times and stand your ground, the serious potential clients will pay your rates because they see your confidence level and will therefore feel confident about choosing you. Now, I just say this is what is needed to get the project done and this is how much it will cost and most of the time that's all it takes, especially if you have a nice resume and/or prior projects that you can refer to as an example.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques