HDSLR Shooters: 1080p or 720p - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Aaron, I've obviously touched a raw nerve on you somewhere so I'm not going to respond point by point to your sometimes fatuous comments. I know our 3D offering has got up your noise - I've read your dismissive comments elsewhere - but I bet you'd like the enquiries it has generated and anyway, you can't dismiss 3D as a passing fad in one message, then in the next agree with me that it's been around 150 years.

If you're happy working with a DSLR that's fine - though I'm bound to wonder how you record a nuptial mass in 12 minute chunks.

I started by writing that it was just my opinion and it remains just that.
Philip, It's easy to record a nuptial mass in 12 minute chunks. I do it every weekend. There are many stop and start moments during an hour long ceremony. Do you really think the bride needs to see the Readers get up from their pew, walk 50 feet up to the lecturn, adjust the microphone, say their 2 minute Corinthians chapter, step down from the lecturn, walk 50 feet back to their pew? Then do it all again for the next Reader? Just start and stop the camera when each Reader approaches the lecturn.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Aaron, I've obviously touched a raw nerve on you somewhere so I'm not going to respond point by point to your sometimes fatuous comments. I know our 3D offering has got up your noise - I've read your dismissive comments elsewhere - but I bet you'd like the enquiries it has generated and anyway, you can't dismiss 3D as a passing fad in one message, then in the next agree with me that it's been around 150 years.

If you're happy working with a DSLR that's fine - though I'm bound to wonder how you record a nuptial mass in 12 minute chunks.

I started by writing that it was just my opinion and it remains just that.
For the vows, I click the stop/start button while the bride and groom are being positioned by the priest. There is nothing at that point that should make the final edit anyway.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:

Philip, the point about 3D was a question, not my opinion. However, it is funny how you call one technology a fad, when that is exactly the same comment many (not me personally) say with 3D. Call me devils advocate on that situation.
My personal opinion about 3D is that it is a progressive technology and as I stated before, it has more finance behind it to possibly stick around for longer. I wouldn't exactly call this a dismissive comment, would you?
I am well aware that you offer 3D in your package, and I wish you all the good fortune with that. I really do. It is not something we are considering offering for the time being until the technology takes a step up to allow more creativity.

My reasoning for answering your questions on a point by point basis, was that you did make point by point questions and assertions. The only real dismissive and sarcastic comment was in response to your "conflakes" point. Since I found your point rather farcical, my return comment reflected that. I am curious to where I make similar dismissive comments elsewhere. Can you help point them out to me so I can make sure no one was offended.

Michael has already answered my point about mass rather more eloquently than I would have, and it is a simple fact that there are always natural breaks in proceedings when filming a wedding. How many times have we had to change tapes because the speeches went over an hour? The same principle applies to DSLRs.
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Trustee

Thank you Aaron and Michael for explaining how you do that.

Obviously we're at cross purposes because we shoot with three cameras and edit in sync'd multicam on a timeline with typically ten sound tracks - before editing out the reader walking to the lectern etc. I would find it unacceptable to have to re-sync the edit every 12 minutes but if you don't that's fine.

We clearly have very different ways of doing the job.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #20
Major Player

This is "classic" Philip I tell you. His comments always seem to be a little too high up in the air. Philip, you may have "years of experience" and sometimes your advice is good, but the way you word your comments has always had me skip over your post. A lot of your previous post always seem to offend people even thou you think you are helping them. I could go on, but this isn't the place or time for it.

Shout your opinion, but don't make feel like crap for their choice in equipment.

Sorry but I had to say it.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #21
Trustee

And I'm glad you did Kelly; no offence was ever intended and if it was taken then I apologise.

In this particular instance I only mentioned my view so the OP would understand that I had no direct experience of his situation before making the general point (phrased as a question) which was why would you not have your gear work at its best quality just to save a few cents on media. It seemed like false economy. Others more qualified went into more details and gave reasons why the OP might use different settings. If that was offensive, then I'm sorry.

Of course, if my views disinterest you then it's your prerogative not to read them.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

What is this about 24p only if you're NOT going to DVD? I'm planning to shoot a short film sometime in the near future, and would go with 24p because it's a narrative fiction application and I like the look. Are you saying there's going to be some issue with making DVDs at this framerate?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #23
New Boot

Starting the basic would be the best way to explain to a newbie.

You can do this-and-that from a 24p onto a 30p dvd but let's start the basic. NTSC DVD are 29.97fps.
Lam Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones View Post
.....and 3D isn't a passing fad???
I'm holding out for 4D.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques