Remote Controlled Nudging / Poking Device.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote Controlled Nudging / Poking Device..

Hi Guys, For weddings I think walky talky sets are no good.

Of course hand signals are still the best non-intrusive, but getting someone's attention is another matter.

I just had a bright idea, but can't find anything on google without running into some seriously dodgy results.

What I'd like is a remote controlled vibrate pack able to be hooked onto a belt or put into the the pocket, so that when one of the guys want to communicate via hand signals, simply press a button and the devices vibrates to get attention.

Any one know of a solution or better solution? LOL
Josh Fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Perhaps someone can write an iphone app to work over wireless? .. LOL
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Why don't you just set your phones to vibrate and speed-dial each other?
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Won't making calls mid-ceremony run the risk of possible audio interference?
Rob Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Maybe, but not likely any more than any other wireless device he's contemplating....

Aren't cell phones in a different part of the spectrum than wireless mics?
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No idea, Adam - personally I've always believed it wise to have my phone switched off when recording, if not because of the noise intrusion when it rings then perhaps fearing the possibility of radio mic interference.

You might be right, phone signals may make no difference to radio or other mics.

I'm wary though that if my mobile rings or receives a text anywhere near my computer for example, I can pick up that 'blip blip blipblipbliiiip!' noise through my speakers.
Rob Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah dont like phones.. too fiddly and of course wireless interference..

Something simple like button or something would be good.
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Trustee

We've recently expanded our team to three which means that whilst the third camera still mounted high on a special tripod it can be operated via and hand control (the third member) rather than remotely and wirelessly by me.

As others have noted in other threads, the value of a third static camera is that you can always rely on at least one shot to go to if the other two are momentarily unusable. So as not to lose this security we propose to have a wireless signal system which will be operated by the third camera some seconds before he's planning to move/re-frame. This signal will light tiny LED lights on the supply arms of the other two cameras. we're generally in easy sight of each other and can make sure that one of us holds static until the third camera turns the light off signalling that he's stable again.

If the system's viable and practical I'll post the circuitry here.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hm.... what about a wireless doorbell system? Could you replace the audio portion with a small LED light?
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #10
Trustee

Adam, I should have added that like our remote control system for our hotheads, the transmission will have to be digital and encoded - there's no point in risking somebody's doorbell push, car key fob etc giving us false signals and all these things run on the same few frequencies.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I like using headsets for weddings and my team is able to perform much better with them. What is it that you don't like about them Josh?

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Josh we use UHF lapel mics, I have four wireless mics and rarely use more than two at weddings, we use the other two as a communication system which allows us to whisper however generally if I'm in front of the church it hard to whisper without drawing attention. For times when we don't use mics I've found cheap laser pointers work great to get the attention of your assistant.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well I think using walky talky during weddings are too intrusive.. I have done multi cam shoots for shows etc where whispering in a large auditorium is not a problem but for weddings, it draws too much attention and seems unprofessional.
Josh Fung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques