Wedding Production? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Production?

I was just wondering about the actual wedding DVD. What do you guys do or recommend? If you have a two or three camera shoot, do you burn the whole ceromony and just switch back and forth to different cameras or do you just do a highlight dvd? Just wondering what you guys do.
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I basically do a documentary-style shoot, combine it all in multi-cam edits, and that is what goes on the DVD. I shoot both ceremony and reception with multiple cameras. For long ceremonies, there's a chapter (and menu button) for each segment. A highlights clip is an extra for those who want one which, in my market, is not very often.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I shoot documentary style, combining how ever many cameras I have on the shoot to deliver the best shots for the final ceremony on DVD. I include the highlights with my packages as it is the part of the DVD that the client is most likely to show family and friends when they are over as the full DVD would take too long in some cases. It is amazing the number of referrals that we get in which the couples will say we saw so and so's highlight video and really liked it.
Scott Frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Like some others here we use three cameras and produce a creative documentary style main programme with a "Dream" wedding consisting of the most romantic sections cut to music of the clients' choice.

We edit multicam so the main edit is very efficient and much like directing a programme from the gallery used to be - except that when you make a mistake you can go back and correct it. It may look like just switching back and forth between cameras and perhaps that was just a shorthand way you use to describe it. In fact it's selection of the planned camera for sections we pre-plan and selection of the most appropriate camera for things which happen but which we don't plan.

The link between the camera moves in planned sections and their synchronisation on the day is another subject entirely mainly because there isn't a director calling the shots and communication between the cameras can't be by speech. Suffice to say it's much more than simply shooting the event from three different angles and switching back and forth.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Trustee

As with Philip we edit from a number of cameras (some times 3, sometimes as many as 6) and can produce either a full documentary edit or a part documentary part 'cinematic' edit.

There is no one recipe for a wedding DVD and you really need to develop your own style.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am currently doing like a Wedding Montage, then taking the Wedding Ceremony and doing a multicam edit. I like to watch other peoples styles and try to learn stuff from others and combine it all! :)
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques