Sony PMW-EX1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony PMW-EX1R

Seems like a great camera. I'm getting back into the game after a long hiatus (pre HD days). Can I match this cam up with a 7D? I can't swing two of these bad boys right now so I was hoping to use my dslr as a second cam In the interim.

Anyone using this camera? Thoughts on it's low light performance? It looks great in the few examples I've seen. Do the 1/2 inch chips make a big difference? Also are there any similar cameras out there with 1/2 inchers?

Thanks
Brian
Landmark Media
Brian Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Brian, I can't help with all aspects of your question because my wife and I use our DLSRs for stills only. However, we are planning to upgrade from Z1s to EX1Rs at the turn of the year on the basis of the improved images we got from an EX1 on loan to us from our usual supplier. The depth of field is appropriately shallower (not as shallow as some would like but more than adequate for us who've elected to use video cameras for video.

More important is the lack of "enhancement" the images seem to get in HDV. To our eyes they're much more like those we got from our BVW507 Beta-SP with a super-wide Fujinon.

You've already done the budgeting so you'll already be aware that compared to the CF cards our MRC1 stuck on the Z1s use, the S+S cards are about five times more expensive.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Major Player

EX1 = Awesome camera. Pros: Amazing picture quality, excellent in low-light conditions and even when there is grain, the colors are solid, amazing zoom control with 1,9 fixed iris from full zoom-out to full zoom-in. Cons: Very expensive media, the shallow DOF is great but that means that you lose focus too easily even in daylight. Unless you will work with the camera in a steadicam without zoom (or better, with wide lens), then manual focus is a necessity.

Compared to DSLRs though... The image quality is better in DSLRs but that doesn't come without problems. DSLRs may be superior thanks to the huge sensors and various lenses but this is also the drawback. That means that you don't have many of the conviniences of a camcorder like autofocus when using steadicams, or the abilities to zoom very closely to your subject without changing lens or having multiple DSLRs with you. Also the lack of antialiasing and stabilizing in DSLRs will create some not so funny results like stuttering (avoidable) and the Moire effect (not avoidable). The best thing is to combine both worlds and the result will be amazing.

Here is a video still from EX1R in FullHD. As you see the quality is tremendous.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony PMW-EX1R-sequence-02.tif  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. Ergonomically speaking, does the EX1R wear you out after a full day of shooting. It sounds like it's on the heavy side.
Brian Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Brian, again I can only speak of the trial but with the MRC1 and battery, the all-up weight compared to our z1s wasn't significantly heavier, as I recall. I guess the answer will again depend on the amount of steadicam/hand held work you do.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bechard View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Ergonomically speaking, does the EX1R wear you out after a full day of shooting. It sounds like it's on the heavy side.
It's not that heavy. Actually it's light enough to be used with a Flowpod (and with the added Sony spotlight and a big battery for it), and Flowpod is not famous for using it with heavy cameras.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you are shopping in this price range you should probably take a look at the new Canon XF300/305 as well.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques